Your Billing Rights and Elan Financial Services’ Responsibilities
This page contains important information about your rights and Elan Financial Services’ responsibilities under the Fair Credit Billing Act.
Put Your Concern in Writing
If you think your bill is wrong, or if you need more information about a transaction on your bill, write to Elan as soon as possible at the address listed on your bill. Elan must hear from you within 60 days of the date on the first bill on which the error or problem appeared. You can call Elan, but doing so will not preserve your rights.
In your letter, provide the following information:
- your name and procurement card number;
- the posting or monthly invoice date;
- the transaction date and number and merchant's name;
- the date you contacted the merchant to attempt to resolve this issue and the merchant’s response;
- the dollar amount of the suspected error; and
- a description of the error and, if you can, an explanation of why you believe there is an error. (If you need more information, describe the item you are not sure about.)
Disputes can also be handled in Access Online.
After We Receive Your Written Notice
Since the University automatically pays your Visa Purchasing Card in full each month, it is important to understand the following dispute procedures.
When you notice a billing error on your statement, first call the merchant for resolution. Most merchants will make goodwilled efforts to resolve the issue immediately.
Otherwise, do the following:
- Elan must be notified in writing within 60 days of a disputed item being posted. We will send a letter of acknowledgment of the dispute.
- Elan will order a copy of the receipt/ticket/draft of the disputed item.
- Elan will automatically credit your account for the disputed item if the merchant fails to respond within 45 days.
Note: Most travel and expense disputes can take up to three billing cycles (90 days) to resolve. Once receipts have been received and forwarded to you, you must respond within ten business days if the item is still being disputed. If erroneous items are determined, Elan will credit your account for the disputed item(s).
Strict adherence to these timelines is required to retain your dispute right under Visa regulations.