U. J. Noblet Forestry and Wood Products Building

U. J. Noblet Forestry and Wood Products Building

The forestry building was completed on this site in 1967, and it was renamed the U. J. Noblet Forestry and Wood Products Building in 1994. Ubald J. Noblet established the forestry department in 1936 and served as its first department head from 1936 until his retirement in 1962. This original part of the School is home to the Student Job Center and administrative offices.

Hesterberg Atrium

Hesterberg Atrium

The focal point of the School's building is its beautiful atrium. The large support beams represent trees, and the roof structure represents a forest canopy. An auditorium with state-of-the-art equipment is located on the lower atrium level. Hesterberg Hall was made possible by the generosity of Gene Hesterberg (department head, 1962-1980). Gene was known for providing advice and support to many young foresters, helping them get on track for careers in their field.

Hesterberg Atrium

Hesterberg Atrium

Over fifty flags are displayed in the atrium representing diverse backgrounds of our students and the countries Peace Corps Master's International students served in.

Peace Corps Program

Peace Corps Program

Michigan Tech and the Peace Corps have teamed up to design a graduate program for students who are interested in not only a career in forestry, environmental sciences and policy, and natural resource management, but also the rewarding experience of serving abroad. The program combines a master's degree with a year of Peace Corps service.

Featured Items

Featured Items

The School's display cases are educational tools featuring current research, projects of interest, information on the environment in general, and historical facts about the School and natural resources education.

Bronze Sculpture

Bronze Sculpture

"Timber Cruiser" was dedicated in recognition of Bonnie Robbins' ardent support of wildlife education and sustainable forestry practices.

Wood Murals

Wood Murals

A special gallery of beautiful router-relief panels pays tribute to donors and to Honor Academy members, alumni and friends of the School who have distinguished themselves in their chosen careers. The panels depict scenes of historical interest and can be found throughout the hallways of the School.

Greenhouse

Greenhouse

The School's greenhouse provides an ideal environment for both research and classroom (or laboratory) learning. Students have the option to work here while enrolled in the Earn-and-Learn program, which awards $1,000 to all new students for working in an area of research within the School during their first year.

Horner Hall

Horner Hall

Horner Hall, made possible by a gift from Robert and Virginia Horner, houses faculty and graduate student office spaces, which places them near many of the School's teaching and research labs.

Faculty Offices

Faculty Offices

Faculty offices are located throughout Horner Hall. The quiet atmosphere provides faculty members with a relaxed office setting for meeting with undergraduate and graduate students, preparing for class, and working on research projects.

Computer Lab

Computer Lab

The Graduate Computer Lab is conveniently located around the corner from the graduate student office area. The lab, which is equipped with the latest computing and printing technology, is accessible by students twenty-four hours a day.

Biotechnology Lab

Biotechnology Lab

From the David Holli Forest Ecology Lab, where special instruments are available for studying water, plant and soil samples, to the Lignin Biochemistry Lab, where students and faculty conduct studies on lignin biosynthesis in genetically modified tree species, the School's laboratories provide our students with the top technology and instrumentation needed to stay current in progressive areas of research.

Teaching Labs

Teaching Labs

Teaching labs provide our students with hands-on learning experiences in natural resource applications. These labs are made possible through the generous support of our alumni and friends. Wooden plaques near each doorway identify the donors.

Wildlife Art Exhibit

Wildlife Art Exhibit

The Donald W. Carmody Wildlife Art Exhibit, made possible through the generosity of William and Erlene Carmody, consists of ninety-six prints and five original watercolors. This art collection features the work of artists Dietmar Krumrey, Roger Tory Peterson, and David A. Maas.

Research Labs

Research Labs

The School's laboratories are home to research projects in the areas of cloning, propagation, soil and plant studies, lignin biosynthesis of trees, entomology, wildlife survival, wetlands ecology studies, chemical modification of wood-fibers and their surface characterization, and tree and forest diseases and insect infestations.

Facilities and Forests

Enjoy Our Inspiring Facilities

The vaulting wood pillars, the large woodcuts, the maple paneling in the building—they all symbolize our aspiration to educate students in natural resources.

Originally built in 1967, the U. J. Noblet Forestry and Wood Products Building was expanded in 2000 with the addition of Horner Hall and the Hesterberg Atrium. 


Apply Classroom Knowledge

Classes are supplemented with first-rate laboratories.

  • DNA Microarray Facility
  • DNA Sequencing Facility
  • Remote Sensing Labs
  • Plant and Soil Ecology Labs
  • Biotechnology Labs
  • Wildlife Labs
  • Greenhouse

Relax at the Otter River Cabin

Students can take a retreat at the secluded Otter River Cabin, built in 1934, to relax, make friends, and work on projects without distraction. The cabin, maintained by the Michigan Tech Forestry Club, is located about twenty miles southwest of campus. 


Plan a Conference, Workshop, or Reunion

The historic Ford Center, located forty-two miles south of campus in Alberta, is a full-service conference facility. The ideal year-round location for research, education/technical trainings, business workshops, meetings, or reunions, the center offers lodging and catering services.