- Noblet Building 170
Assistant Professor, SFRES
- Ph.D., Forest Resources, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.Sc.(Hons), Environmental Science, University of Canterbury
- B.For.Sc.(Hons), University of Canterbury
My passion is the sustainable management of our forest resources. My work navigates
the intersection of ecology and forest management through researching and teaching
silviculture. I am interested in applied forest ecology and spatial ecology at the
stand- and landscape-scales.
When not working to ensure the health of our forests, I am out there enjoying them as a hiker and fly fisherman.
Links of Interest
- Silviculture and applied forest ecology
- Stand- and landscape-scale forest structure
- Restoration silviculture
- Dickinson, Y. (2014) Landscape restoration of a forest with a historically mixed-severity fire regime: What was the historical landscape pattern of openings and canopy? Forest Ecology and Management 331:264-271
- Underhill, J., Dickinson, Y.L., Rudney, A. and Thinnes, J. (2014) Silviculture of the Colorado Forest Restoration Initiative. Journal of Forestry 112(5):484-493
- Dickinson, Y.L. and Giles, E. (2014) Monitoring landscape-scale forest heterogeneity: A protocol. CFRI-TB-1404. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Ft Collins, CO. 24p.
- Dickinson, Y.L. and the Front Range Roundtable Spatial Heterogeneity Subgroup. (2014) Stand- and Landscape-Scale Desirable Forest Structures for a Restored Front Range. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Colorado State University, Technical Brief CFRI-TB-1402, Fort Collins, CO. 18 p.
- Dickinson, Y.L. Zenner, E.K., and Miller, D.A. (2014) Examining the effect of diverse management strategies on landscape scale patterns of forest structure in Pennsylvania using novel remote sensing techniques. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44: 301-312
- Pelz, K.A. and Dickinson, Y.L. (2014) Monitoring forest cover spatial patterns with aerial imagery: A tutorial. CFRI-TB-1401. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Ft Collins, CO
- Zenner, E.K., Dickinson, Y.L. and Peck, J. E. (2013) Recovery of forest structure and composition to harvesting in different strata of mixed even-aged central Appalachian hardwoods. Annals of Forest Science 70(2): 151-159
- Young, N., Reeder, C., Addington, R., Dickinson, Y., Evangelista, P. and Cheng, T. (2013) Colorado Front Range Collaborative Forest Landscape Restoration Project: 2011-2012 Pre- and post-treatment stand structure analyses for the Pike and San Isabel and Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, Ft Collins, CO.
- Dickinson, Y. L. and Norton, D. A. (2011) Divergent fine-scale spatial patterns in New Zealand’s short tussock grasslands. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 35(1): 76-82
- Dickinson, Y. L. and Zenner, E. K. (2010) Allometric equations for the aboveground biomass of selected common eastern hardwood understory species. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 27(4): 160-165
- Norton, D.A., Dickinson, Y. and Van Leuween, M. (2007) Ecology of a Ranunculus lyallii population at its eastern distributional limit in Canterbury. New Zealand Journal of Botany 45(1):81-85
- Miller, R.M., Dickinson, Y. and A. Reid. (2005) Maori Connections to Forestry in Feary, S. (ed.) Forestry for Indigenous Peoples: Learning from Experiences. Fenner School of Environment & Society, ANU College of Science, p. 13-22
- Assessing factors that influence landscape fuels treatment effectiveness (Co-PI, Joint Fire Science Program 14-1-01-18)
- Management of Sudden Aspen Decline (SAD) on Private Land in Piceance Basin, CO (Co-PI, Warner College of Natural Resources Cheveron Fellowship 2014)
- Assessing the effectiveness of spatially heterogeneous fuels reduction restoration treatments (Co-PI, Joint Fire Science Program 13-1-04-53)
- Spatial patterning of Hieracium invaded short tussock grassland communities (PI, Miss E L Hellaby Grassland Research Trust 2007)