2012-2013 Faculty Handbook Revisions
February through April, 2013 - Annual Review: The entire Handbook was reviewed and revised. The 2013 annual review revisions are summarized by section, as follows:
2012-2013 Faculty Handbook Revision Summary List
Description of Revision
|1.1 Mission||- Included the Mission and Goals from the Strategic Plan.|
|1.3 Administrative Structure||- Center for Teaching, Learning and Faculty Development is now Center for Teaching
- Information Technology User Services now reports to Provost
- Under Vice President for Advancement "Development" removed
- Gift Planning and Major Gifts is now Major and Planned Giving
- Development Operations and Campus Management is now Development Operations and Campaign Management
- University Marketing and Communications now reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Under the CFO, Finance (Michigan Tech Fund) added
- Under Vice President for Administration: Occupational Safety and Health Services now reports up-through the Vice President for Research
- Under Vice President: Athletic Department is now Athletics
- Dean of Students/Student Development is now Dean of Students and Housing and Residential Life was removed
- Under Vice President for Research: Michigan Tech Transportation Institute and National Security & Strategic Initiatives removed
- Research Integrity & Compliance is now Compliance, Integrity, & Safety
- Research and Sponsored Programs is now Sponsored Programs
- Sponsored Enhancement Programs is now Sponsored Operations
- Reporting to the Board, Affirmative Action Officer is now Institutional Equity
|1.6 Non-Faculty Academic Appointments||- The definition of research faculty was moved to section 1.5.5 and Senate Proposal 4-95 now reads Senate Policy 701.3|
|1.7 Academic Freedom||- Added Senate Policy 106.1|
|2.1 Reappointment||- Changed appointment date examples from 2011-12 through 2017-18 to 2013-14 through 2019-20|
|2.2 Academic Tenure and Promotion||- Approved by Faculty: 28 January 2004 (The final vote was 50-4 in facor.), Senate Proposal 13-06: Adopted by Senate on 5 April 2006, Approved by Administration: 17 April 2006, Passed Referendum: 14 April 2008 (out of 347 possible voters; there were 111 Yes votes and 17 No votes), and Board Policy 16.4, Approved by Board: 12 December 2008 now reads Senate Procedures 707.1.1|
|2.4 Transfer of Tenure and Rank Between Academic Units||- Senate Proposal 16-07, Amendment of Proposal 9-06, Introduced in Senate: 13 December 2006, Adopted by Senate: 17 January 2007, Approved by Administration 8 February 2007, Passed Referendum: 14 April 2008 (out of 347 possible votes; there were 112 Yes votes and 14 No votes) now reads Senate Policy 708.1|
|3.1.1 Conflict of Interest/Effort||- The Disclosure Required section was re-worded, and the Categorization of Conflicts of Interest and Annual Report sections were deleted to reflect updated Board of Control Bylaws and Policies.|
|18.104.22.168 Policy on Discrimination and Harassment||- To reflect current Board of Control policy, removed genetic information as a form of discrimination.|
|3.1.6 Statement on Professional Ethics||- Format change. No change to content|
|3.2.1 Absence from Regularly Scheduled Class Meetings||- Format change. No change to content|
|3.2.2 Faculty Availability||- Senate Proposal 23-96 now reads Senate Policy 702.1|
|3.2.3 Academic Integrity||- Senate Proposal 1-10, introduced to Senate: 09 September 2009, Tabled and returned to committee: 23 September 2009, Approved by Senate: 07 October 2009, Approved by Administration: 19 October 2009, Senate Proposal 8-06, Approved by Administration: 6 April 2006, Revised Proposal 08-02, and Amendments to Proposal 27-95 now reads Senate Policy 109.1 and Senate Procedures 109.1.1|
|3.2.5 Class Times||- Senate Proposal 15-96 now reads Senate Policy 103.1|
|3.2.6 Course Grades||- Senate Proposal 25-94 now reads Senate Policy 304.1
- Proposal 2012(revised 04-11-12 (Grades 1 and X)), Approved by Administration: 08 May 2012, and Senate Proposal 13-99 (Grades P and Q) now reads Senate Policy 311.1
- Senate Proposal 10-07 (Mid-Term Grades) now reads Senate Policy 309.1
-Senate Proposal 9-78 (Audit Grades) now reads Senate Policy 302.1
|22.214.171.124 Final Examinations||- Senate Proposal 10-94 now reads Senate Policy 602.1|
|126.96.36.199 Scheduling of Evening Examinations||- Senate Proposal 7-94 now reads Senate Policy 601.1|
|3.2.10 Student Absences||- Senate Proposal 19-94; revised with Senate Proposal 20-95 now reads Senate Policy 102.1|
|3.2.12 Early-Term Class Surveys||- Senate Proposal 13-01, Adopted by Senate: April 25, 2001, and Approved by Preside: May 2001 now reads Senate Policy 505.1|
|3.2.13 Teaching Evaluation Policy||- Senate Proposal 12-03, Adopted by Senate: April 23, 2003, Approved by President: May 19, 2003 now reads Senate Policy 504.1|
|3.2.14 Correcting Student Grades and Retention of Student Work||- Revised Proposal 11-07 and Senate Proposal 14-97 now reads Senate Policy 310.1
- The email address for questions is now hbwebmaster
|3.3.1 Academic Research Centers||- Added item "F. Research centers and institutes help to promote interdisciplinary
work which involves faculty from several different departments on and off campus.
Center Directors who are also tenure track faculty are expected to spend a minimum
of 20% of their time during the academic year in support of center activities and
administration. This effort is recognized as part of their service and research effort,
and should be reflected appropriately in the departmental index."
- The sentences that read "If approved, the proposal is forwarded to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs with a recommendation for center director. The Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs will review the proposal and approve it, send it back for revision, or reject it." now read as: "If approved, the proposal is forwarded to the University President and Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs for approval, revision, or rejection."
|4.2 Professional Leave||- Senate Proposal 12-10, Introduction to Senate: 24 February 2010, Adopted by Senate: 17 March 2010, and Approved by Administration: 13 April 2010 now reads Senate Policy 907.1|
|4.2.1 Entrepreneurial Leave||- Senate Proposal 14-10, Introduced to Senate: 17 March 2010. Adopted by Senate: 31 March 2010, and Approved by Administration: 13 April 2010" now reads "Senate Policy 906.1."|
|4.3 Employee Education Program||- Updated link to the Employee Education Program policy.|
|4.4 Travel Policies||- From the paragraph under Taxi and Other Local Transportation, the sentence "Alternative
arrangements from travel to the airport should be made when the airport charges will
exceed the cost of a two-way taxi or limousine service." was deleted.
- Under Tips, the sentence that read "...such as food services, porters, etc." now reads "...such as services, porters, etc."
|5.3.1 Deferred Pay Plan||- 5.3.1 Optional Pay Plan now reads 5.3.1 Deferred Pay Plan
- the second paragraph "Election of the optional pay plan must be..." now reads "Election of the deferred pay plan must be..."
- added to the third paragraph
|5.3.3 Paycheck Direct Deposit||-"A direct deposit form is available by calling the Payroll Office or from the Payroll Office web page, found here http://www.admin.mtu.edu/hro/payroll/index.shtml" now reads "A direct deposit form is available by calling Payroll Services from the Payroll Services web page, found here http://www.admin.mtu.edu/hro/payroll/index/shtml"|
|6.1.1 TechSelect||- The first sentence read "...includes medical, dental/vision, life..." and now reads "includes medical, dental, vision, life..."|
|6.2.2 Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA)||- url updated - no change to content.|
|Chapter 8 - Table of Contents||- Changed 8.3 Affirmative Action to 8.3 Institutional Equity|
|8.1 Grievance Policy||- Senate Proposal 23-00 and Amendments to Proposal 13-95 now reads Senate policy 704.1 and Senate Procedures 704.1.1|
|8.2 Ombuds||- Senate Proposal 06-06 now reads Senate Policy 210.1|
|8.3 Institutional Equity||- Affirmative Action Office is now Institutional Equity
- The sentence that read "...basis of a person's membership in a protected or minority group..." now reads "...basis of a person's membership in a protected group,..."
- "library" now reads "Van Pelt and Opie Library"
- AAO now reads Affirmative Action Officer.
|9.2 Disability Accommodation||- Added "in the Office of Institutional Equity" in the last sentence.|
|9.3.1 Closure Policy||- Deleted the weather advisory paragraph and replaced it with weather-related absences|
|9.3.3 Publishing a Web Page at Michigan Tech||- Section 1.2 Copyrighted Materials now reads 1.2 Copyright and the two paragraphs
were replaced with : "Intellectual property of others should only be placed on web
pages when expressed permission of the owner is received. The Van Pelt and Opie Library
can assist you with obtaining copyright permissions. Copyrighted works, trademarks
or other protected material including cartoons, articles, photographs, songs, software
or graphics typically require permission. There are exceptions (published prior to
1923) and fair use exceptions. More detail is available here: http://www.mtu.edu/library/research-help/copyright/usage/
or by contacting the library at 906-487-2507 or email@example.com."
- Section 1.4 first paragraph read: "The Michigan Tech Home Page is a gateway to the many WWW sites at Michigan Technological University. Responsibility for this page is shared by the departments of Information Technology and University Relations at Michigan Tech." now reads "The Michigan Tech Home Page is a gateway to the many web sites at Michigan Technological University. Responsibility for this page is shared by the departments of Information Technology and University Marketing and Communications at Michigan Tech."
- In Section 1.5 Privacy of Student Records, in the second paragraph, "Public Safety Office" now reads "Public Safety and Police Services"
- In the third paragraph: "For more information regarding privacy and confidentiality please visit the Office of Student Records and Registration website (on the web at www.admin.mtu.edu/em)" now reads "For more information regarding privacy and confidentiality please visit the Registrars's website (on the web at www.mtu.edu/registrar)."
- In Section 1.6 Michigan Tech Network Services, in the second paragraph, "Research Services" is now "Sponsored Programs Office"
- In section 2.1 Required for School, College and Department Web Pages in the first sentence, "department" now reads ""department"" (with quotations).
- Senate Proposal 6-99 now reads Senate Policy 904.1
|9.4 Signature Authority Policy||- The first and second paragraphs which read: "The President of the University, the
Chair, the Vice Chair, the Secretary, and the Treasurer of the Board are authorized
to sign and execute documents within their general powers as officers, or in certain
cases, under specific authority. The following types of specific agreements may be
executed only by the officers or persons noted:." now reads: "The President of the
University, pursuant to his general authority and responsibility for the operation
of the University and in accord with the General Policies laid down by the Board may
execute any documents unless they go beyond or deviate from the Board's established
objectives. The Chair, the Vice Chair, the Secretary, and the Treasurer of the Board
are authorized to sign and execute documents within their general powers as officers,
or in certain cases, under specific authority. The following types of specific agreements
may be executed only by the officers or persons noted unless otherwise designated
by the President."
- Item D. Non-disclosure Agreements now reads Non-disclosure Agreements, including for purposes of the Freedom of Information Act; Confidential Research and Investment Information Act; Uniform Trade Secrets Acts and any other State of Federal Law or Regulation relating to disclosure or non-disclosure."
-"Director of Technology and Economic Development" now reads "Director of Innovation and Industry Engagement" as a signature authority for both items D and E.
- "Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs" was removed as signature authority from Easements given to another party and Easements received from another party (items F and G).
- "Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs" was changed to "Vice President for Academic Affairs" in item H. Rentals and leases to and from other parties.
- "Treasurer" was removed as signature authority from item J. Labor agreements with Local 1166, AFSCME and Local 5000, UAW.
- "Secretary" was added as signature authority in item L. Agreements for payment of tuition, fees, room or board by domestic and foreign organizations.
- "Vice President for Administration, and/or Treasurer," was changed to "Vice President for Administration, or Treasurer," in item O. Capital outlay projects funded by special state appropriations.
- "Secretary" was added as signature authority in item R. Agreements with domestic governmental and foreign governmental organizations except those specifically mentioned earlier.
- Item S. Athletic agreements or contracts and contracts for game officials, - President, "Vice President for Administration, or Athletic Director/Department Chair of Exercise Science, Health and Physical Education." now reads "Athletic agreements or contracts and contracts for game officials. - President, Vice President for Student Affairs, Athletic Director, or Department Chair of Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology."
- "Secretary" was added as signature authority in item U. United States Department of Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms annual report.
|9.5.1 Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) and eLearning||- Center for Teaching, Learning and Faculty Development is now Center for Teaching
and Learning (CTL) and eLearning
- Both paragraphs were re-written and revised to reflect current practice
|9.5.2 Corporate and Foundation Support||- A period was missing from the end of the last sentence of the third paragraph and formatting changes were made - no changes to content.|
|9.5.4 Information Technology Resources||- Web address changed for Confidentiality Agreement - no content changes made.|
|9.5.6 Van Pelt and Opie Library||- The section title "Van Pelt and Opie Library, University Archives and E-Learning" now reads "Van Pelt and Opie Library" and the entire section was re-written to reflect current practice.|
|9.5.8 Vice President for Research||- Under Innovation and Industry Engagement, in the fourth sentence, "commercializing"
no reads "commercialization".
- The heading "Sponsored Programs Enhancement" now reads "Research Development"
- The heading, "Research Integrity and Compliance" now reads "Compliance, Integrity, and Safety"
|9.5.10 University Marketing and Communications||- The sentence "Video and photography services at Michigan Tech capture and highlight University events for use in publications and multimedia vehicles." now reads "Video and photography services at Michigan Tech capture and highlight high-level University research, academics, and events for use in web, publications, and multimedia."|
|9.6.3 Credit Union||- Updated mailing address and Lobby hours for Pelkie Branch
- Removed Friday and Saturday drive-up window hours for Hancock Branch and included 24-hour ATM information for Houghton and Hancock Branches.
|9.6.4 Identification Cards||- The second sentence that read: "...Bring the form and photo identification (such
as a driver's license or passport) to the Tech Express Service Center located in the
Memorial Union Building (MUB) to have your..." now reads "...Bring the form and photo
identification (such as a driver's license or passport) to the Tech Express Service
Center located in the Library and IT Service Center (on the first floor of the Van
Pelt and Opie Library) to have your..."
- The sentence that read: "Gain access to parking lots and designated by Public Safety and Police Services" now reads: "Gain access to parking lots and buildings designated by Transportation Services"
|9.6.6 Parking||- "Public Safety and Police Services as part of the new-hire process" now reads "Transportation
Services located in Room 100 in the Administration Building"
- "All motor vehicles must be operated according to the Michigan Tech Vehicle Regulations. You may receive a copy of the regulations with your parking permit from Public Safety and Police Services." now reads "All motor vehicles must be operated according to the Michigan Tech Traffic Ordinance which can be found on the University's website. You will receive a copy of the parking regulations with your parking permit from Transportation Services at the time of vehicle registration.
|9.6.8 A.E. Seaman Mineral Museum||- The paragraph was re-written to reflect current practice.|
|9.6.9 Wellness Program||- The web address "www.admin.mtu.edu/hro/techcomwellness/index.shtml" now reads "www.mtu.edu/hr/wellness/overview/".|
|9.7.1 Athletic Activities||- From the second and third sentences, deleted "or in person at any Michigan Tech Ticketing Operations locations. Ticketing Operations are located at Tech Express, the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts or at the Central Ticket Office, located on the first floor of the Student Development Complex (SDC)" and it now reads: "or in person at Michigan Tech Ticketing Operations at the Central Ticket Office, located on the first floor of the Student Development Complex (SDC)."|
|9.7.2 Nordic Ski Trails/ Recreational Forest||- The paragraph was re-written to reflect current practice.|
|9.7.3 Gates Tennis Center||- Deleted "newly resurfaced" from the second sentence. Added the sentence: "Tennis
lessons and clinics are available throughout the year."
-Added "or to reserve a court" to the last sentence
|Appendix A. Academic Integrity and Honesty Procedures||- To be consistent with Senate Procedure 109.1.1. "Section I. Practice" now reads
- "II. Procedures" now reads "IV. Procedures"
- "Adopted by Senate: January 30, 2002, Approved by President: February 7, 2002, Introduced Amendment (section IV.D.2.a) to Senate: March 31, 2010, Adopted by Senate: April 14, 2010, Approved by Administration: April 22, 2010" now reads "Senate Procedure 109.1.1"
|Appendix C. Grievance Procedures||- "Proposal 23-00, Amendments to Proposal 13-95, Adopted by Senate: April 25, 2001, Approved by President: May 2, 2001" now reads "Senate Policy 704.1 Senate Procedure 704.1.1"|
|Appendix F. Scientific Misconduct Procedures||- "Proposal 8-98, Amendments to Proposal 23-94, Adopted by Senate: January 1999, Approved by Administration: January 1999" now reads "Senate Procedure 204.1.1"|
|Appendix G. Senate Constitution and Bylaws of the Senate||- Corrected numbering of paragraphs.|
|Appendix H. University Senate Administrative Evaluation Procedure||- "This policy supersedes Senate Proposal 2-89, (Senate Proposal 22-94)" now reads "Senate Procedure 501.1.1".|
|Appendix I. Tenure, Promotion, and Reappointment Procedures||- In section 7.2.1 Eligibility for Service, added paragraph "v. no more than one faculty member from the same department." and "Proposals 13-06, 20-06 and 9-07, Adopted by Senate, Proposals 13-06 and 20-06: April 5, 2006, Adopted by Senate, Proposal 9-07: November 29, 2006, Approved by Administration, Proposals 13-06 and 20-06: April 17, 2006 , Approved by Administration, Proposal 9-07: December 11, 2006, Accepted by Faculty Referendum. Proposals 20-06 and 9-07: April 9, 2007, Accepted by Faculty Referendum, Proposal 13-06: April 14, 2008, Approved by Board of Control, Proposal 13-06: December 12, 2008" now reads as "Senate Procedure 707.1.1"|
|Appendix L. Changes in Non-Tenure Track Instructor and Lecturer Appointments||- "Proposal 04-07, Adopted by Senate: October 25, 2006, Approved by Administration: December 11, 2006 with NOTE: The Provost will be working with Academic Human Resources on implementation" now reads "Senate Policy 701.2"|