Engineering Services engineers are responsible for
- Design, engineering, cost estimating, and construction of all new and remodeling projects on campus
- Writing building project programs
- Preparing the Capital Outlay Budget
- Managing design contracts with architects and engineers, coordinating design with facility users.
- Conducting property surveys
- Preparing property descriptions
- Working with the campus community on facility concerns and improvements
- Managing construction contracts with all types of building contractors.
If you wish to remodel or change the use of existing space or plan a new facility, the process begins by contacting your Facilities Engineer who will
- Provide a safety and code review
- Determine the scope of work (see Capital Projects below)
- Provide schematic design and estimate project costs
All projects must have approval from your department head and executive team to proceed.
All projects (>$50,000) anticipated in the next five fiscal years must be submitted for consideration by first using the Preliminary Estimate Request Form. Completion of this step will place the project on the Unapproved Capital Project List.
To get onto the Approved Capital Projects List, one must fill out the Capital Project Approval Form which identifies funding, receives prioritization and approval from the Executive Team and is signed by the President.
Capital Outlay Requests
Each year the University submits a Capital Outlay Project Request and Five Year Comprehensive Master Plan to the State of Michigan.