Graduate Orientation and Applied Language (GOAL) Program
The Graduate Orientation And Language (GOAL) program is available prior to Fall classes. The program is designed to assist international graduate students to succeed in their academic programs by providing intensive English language instruction and cultural immersion opportunities. In addition to these opportunities, the program provides an extended orientation to Michigan Tech’s campus and local community services. All new international graduate students who want to improve their English are encouraged to participate in the GOAL program.
Apply early—enrollment is limited!
Applied Language - Intensive English Language Instruction
- Placement testing
- Reading and vocabulary
- Writing and composition
- Listening and Speaking
- Conversation Practice
- Tutoring Sessions
- Campus tour
- International Programs and Services meetings
- Classroom visit and lecture
- Library familiarization
- Succeeding Academically in the American Classroom Seminar
- Meeting with academic advisors
- Assistance and information on campus housing
- Banking information
- Tour of health and recreation facilities
- Transportation guidance
Cultural and Outdoor Experience
- Welcome weekend activities, including assistance with housing, dining services, ID cards, etc.
- Community tour
- Visit a copper mine and local historic sites
- Softball games
- Swimming at local beaches
- Hiking and biking
Application and Important Dates
Only students who are applying for a graduate program or have already been accepted to a graduate program for the Fall semester are eligible to apply to GOAL.
Application Deadline: May 1st
Arrival Pick-ups: Transportation will be provided from Houghton County Memorial Airport (CMX) to campus July 1st-2nd
Program Start Date and Placement Test: July 3rd
Program Completion: August 12th
Graduate Orientation with Applied Language (GOAL)
Six-week Summer Session
|Room and Board||$1.522|
Estimated Books and Supplies
*students are required to have their own health insurance or purchase Student Insurance ($244) through Michigan Tech.