Equal Employment Opportunity Statements and Proactive Language
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
Michigan Tech University is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. As such the University is required by federal and state laws to announce equal opportunity policies on all publications and notices.
The traditional statement found in position announcements -- "Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities." -- is required by federal regulation and must appear in all advertisements.
The short version -- "Michigan Tech is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities." -- This short version should only be used when word count is under consideration for pricing of ads.
Proactive language can be included as a specific job qualification or as a summary statement at the end of job announcements. Examples of specific job qualifications and summary statements include the following:
- Candidates should describe how multicultural issues have been or will be brought into courses.
- Candidates should describe previous activities mentoring minorities, women, or members of other underrepresented groups.
- Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Successful candidates must be committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- The University is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
- The University is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
- The campus is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.
- Our goal is to attract world-class faculty to enrich the educational experience of our bright, motivated, and adventurous students. MTU is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
Such proactive language conveys a level of commitment beyond that required by regulation and tells potential applicants that the University values diversity.