Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
Michigan Tech University is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. As such the University is required by federal and state laws to announce equal opportunity policies on all publications and notices.
The Traditional EEO Statement
The traditional statement found in position announcements -- "Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer" -- is required by federal regulation and must appear in all advertisements.
Additional EEO/Recruitment Statements
You may choose an alternate EEO statement instead of the traditional Michigan Tech statement. Examples of alternatives are:
- Michigan Tech is an AA/EEO educator and employer and aggressively recruits minority and female applicants in an effort to bring greater diversity to its workforce.
- MIchigan Tech is an EOE institution/employer and complies with the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Females and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Michigan Tech is an equal opportunity educational institution/employer and is committed to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
- Michigan Tech is an EOE institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal access/equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- Michigan Tech is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans.
- Michigan Tech is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and is supportive of dual career partners. The University is committed to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans.
Proactive language can be included as a specific job qualification or as a summary statement at the end of job announcements. Examples of specific job qualifications and summary statements include the following:
- Candidates should describe how multicultural issues have been or will be brought into courses.
- Candidates should describe previous activities mentoring minorities, women, or members of other underrepresented groups.
- Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Successful candidates must be committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- The University is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
- The University is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
- The campus is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.
- Our goal is to attract world-class faculty to enrich the educational experience of our bright, motivated, and adventurous students. MTU is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
Such proactive language conveys a level of commitment beyond that required by regulation and tells potential applicants that the University values diversity.