Applicant Flow Log (AFL)
The Institutional Equity Office is required to keep information on every person who has submitted a resume/application. This information is collected using an Applicant Flow Log (AFL). The AFL is not a form. It is a database of all applicants who have applied for a position. For positions posted through PeopleAdmin, the AFL is completed electronically through PeopleAdmin during the search process. No further action is required by the department to collect this information.
Applicant Flow Log Instructions
The Applicant Flow Log is not a form. The AFL should be done in EXCEL and consist of the following information:
- Last name
- First name
- Job title of position for which the person is applying
- Date of posting of the position - YYMMDD
- Whether or not the applicant was interviewed (y or n)
- Final disposition of the applicant
- CHE - Considered, Will Hire, External
- CHI - Considered, will Hire, Internal
- CF - Considered, Finalist -reviewed application, made it to short list. Short list is the list of applicants you might consider interviewing now or in the future for this position
- CD - Considered, Declined - when an applicant was offered the position and declines the offer
- CW - Considered, Withdrew – applicant withdrew from position before an offer has been made
- CN - Considered, Not Hired -reviewed application, did not make it to short list
- CNQ - Considered, Not Qualified - applicant was disqualified during any stage of the interview process
- NN – Not Considered/Not Hired – did not review application
- NQ – Not Qualified
- CBC - Considered, Failed Background Check
- WS - Withdrew by System (People Admin)
- NQS - Not Qualified by System (People Admin)
- The AFL should be sent to the Institutional Equity Office by email (in EXCEL). Please email to email@example.com. You do not need to send a hard copy.
Sample Applicant Flow Log
Who Does The AFL?
It is the responsibility of the hiring department or the Human Resources Office to complete the AFL. Human Resources will supply the AFL information to the Institutional Equity Office in the following situations:
- Non-exempt position - When the Human Resource Office provides the department with screening service and sets up the interviews.
- Exempt positions - When the Human Resource Office provides the department with screening service and sets up the interviews and is informed of all applicants that applied directly through the department.
The hiring department will supply the AFL information to the Institutional Equity Office in the following situations:
- Non-exempt position - When the Human Resource Office sends applications of all interested candidates (does not do any screening or does not set up interviews).
- Exempt position - When the Human Resource Office sends applications of all interested candidates (does not do any screening or does not set up interviews).
- When applicants apply directly to the department.
- For all Faculty and Research Positions.
If the position was posted in PeopleAdmin the hiring department should complete the applicant flow log in PeopleAdmin.