Visiting Women & Minority Lecturer Series
University departments are invited to apply for financial support to bring women, minority or other role models who are historically underrepresented in their field of expertise to Michigan Tech’s campus.
- Offer Michigan Tech students opportunities to interact with representatives from industry, education, government, and nonprofit organizations
- Present information about a variety of professional careers
- Increase students’ awareness and knowledge of national and international issues
- Provide key role models to students
- Encourage and support possible research and teaching collaborations with Michigan Tech faculty and graduate students
Awards up to $750 are available to match department funds for lectures, workshops, or seminars presented by off-campus experts. To be eligible for this award, the host departments should schedule at least one informal meeting with students in which the lecturer can discuss her/his work experiences. The visiting lecturer must offer, on campus, a lecture, workshop, and/or seminar for Michigan Tech students and faculty in a particular subject area that enhances knowledge in that discipline. These presentations can be open to the general public or designed for specific audiences.
The application should describe a clear plan for advertising/promoting lecturer activities, include a copy of the lecturer’s resume or biography, and a tentative budget. Awards will be made to those departments who identify strong candidates, present a coordinated plan for interaction between the lecturer and the target audience(s), and provide a reasonable match for the visit.
Visiting Women & Minority Scholar Series
All departments, especially academic units, are encouraged to participate in the Michigan Technological University Visiting Women & Minority Scholar Series.
- Host women, minority, or other scholars historically underrepresented in their field of expertise, who may be potential faculty
- Provide opportunities for networking, nurturing collaborations, and developing new partnerships
- Enhance students’ academic experience
Awards up to $1,750 are available to assist in bringing scholars to Michigan Tech’s campus. Visiting Scholar assignments might include a summer session class, an academic year classroom teaching assignment in designated courses and seminars for faculty, graduate students, and/or undergraduate students. The visit is ideally scheduled for an extended period of time (more than one day). Informal interactions with students and faculty should also be scheduled. Departments are encouraged to seek out scholars with the potential to become Michigan Tech faculty or research collaborators.
Awards will be given first to those departments who: identify strong candidates, plan extended opportunities for interactions, and are able to match the award in order to increase the time that the scholar is on campus.Departments may also propose to bring a scholar to Michigan Tech for an academic semester or summer session, using the Visiting Women and Minority Scholar award to contribute to the total negotiated salary or honorarium for that person.