There is a lot to keep track of when you’re a college student; with student organizations added to the mix, it might seem a little overwhelming. Don’t worry. We’ve compiled the most helpful information and resources for CDI student organization members.
From event planning and publicity channels to planning and travel plans, you’ll find all things student orgs right here.
Each year, many CDI student organizations choose to send member representatives to conferences. There are countless diversity-focused conferences held in the Midwest region; some of the possible events for students to attend as a CDI student organization are listed below.
- American Association of University Women Conference
- American Multicultural Student Leadership Conference
- Creating Change: The National Conference on LGBT Equality
- Graduate Education for Minorities in STEM Fields Conference and Gala
- Men and Women of Color Leadership Conference
- Multicultural Women’s National Conference
- National Association for Graduate and Professional Students Conference
- National Association of Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- National Black MBA Association Conference
- National Center for Student Leadership Conference
- National Conference for College Women Student Leaders
- National Conference for Women in Engineering WEPAN
- National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education
- National Society of Hispanic MBAs Conference
- National Women Studies Association Conference
- National Women’s Conference
- National Youth Feminist Leadership Conference
- People of Color Conference PoCC
- Reaching out LGBT MBA Conference
- Society for Advancement for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science
- Southwest Black Student Leadership Conference
Each CDI student organization benefits greatly by attending conferences, both in terms of the development of the organization and its individual members. All of our student organizations put together conference reports to highlight what they learned by attending their conference and to outline how they plan to utilize this new knowledge in the future. These reports are excellent resources for current and future students who are looking for tips or strategies to improve their organizations or themselves or who are considering conference travel.
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- Women's Leadership Council (WLC) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- Society of African American Men (SAAM) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- Keweenaw Pride (KP) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- African Students Organization (ASO) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- Society of Intellectual Sisters (SIS) 2013 Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- 2013 Michigan Tech Silicon Valley Experience (Briana Tucker)
- 2013 Michigan Tech Silicon Valley Experience (video report)
- Women's Leadership Council (WLC) 2013 National Collegiate Leadership Conference
CDI student organizations that plan to attend conferences are required to work with their CDI student organization liaison to use funding provided by CDI for conference-related expenses (registration, hotel, and travel). It is the responsibility of each student organization to ensure that expenses are paid according to CDI student travel policies.
- Hotel reservations should be made and prepaid by CDI.
- Student organizations can purchase airline tickets through CDI or apply for reimbursement with receipts.
- Students traveling by car must use Michigan Tech motor pool vehicles in order for the cost to be paid by CDI; students will not be reimbursed for mileage or gas if traveling in their own vehicles.
- Student organizations can pay for conference registration through CDI or apply for reimbursement with receipts.
CDI student organizations are also responsible for completing and submitting the required travel forms. Each organization should complete the CDI Student Organization Travel Form and have it signed by their advisor before they meet with their CDI student organization liaison to make arrangements for travel. Every student traveling with the organization must sign and submit a CDI Student Travel Policy Form to either Karen Wade or Karen Patterson prior to departure. In addition, each student organization must complete and submit the Student Activities Student Travel Policy Form to Maryann Wilcox in MUB 106 at least two days prior to departure.
Event Planning Resources
CDI student organizations routinely plan and host cultural, social, and pre-professional events on campus. CDI student organizations can receive funding for these events by working with the CDI Assistant Director who has been assigned to be their liaison.
To help student organizations plan an effective event, please take advantage of the following resources:
- Student Organization Budget Request Form
- Event Planning
- Making Room Reservations
- Placing Food Orders
Student organization members with questions about any aspect of event planning are welcome to contact any of the assistant directors at CDI for assistance.
CDI Student Leaders Retreat Resources
The CDI Student Leaders Retreat is an annual gathering of student officers and members of organizations that are supported by CDI. The retreat is an opportunity for students to connect with the members of other organizations, deepen the bonds between members of their own organizations, and learn about resources that can help their organizations succeed.
Listed below are presentations and resources from past retreats.
- Center for Science, Mathematics, and Environmental Education Pre-College Outreach Opportunities
- Mobile Laboratory: Education, Outreach, and Research in Sustainable Transportation and Energy Surety
- How to Work Effectively with Advisors
- Michigan Tech Leadership Competencies
- Worksheet: Defining Your Mission and Setting Goals for Your Organization
- Worksheet: Action Planning for Individual Goals
CDI Student Organization Liaisons
|CDI Student Organization||Programming Liaison||Travel Liaison|
|African Students Organization (ASO)||Zack Rubinstein||Karen Wade|
|American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)||Kellie Raffaelli||Karen Wade|
|Keweenaw Pride (KP)||Christa Spielman||Karen Wade|
|National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)||Kellie Raffaelli||Brenda Anttila|
|Society of African American Men (SAAM)||Zack Rubinstein||Brenda Anttila|
|Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)||Kellie Raffaelli||Karen Wade|
|Society of Intellectual Sisters (SIS)||Zack Rubinstein||Brenda Anttila|
|Women's Leadership Council (WLC)||Christa Spielman||Karen Wade|