Betty Chavis Emergency Fund
The Betty Chavis Emergency Fund was established to provide support for Michigan Tech students who are experiencing a financial emergency due to unforeseen circumstances; this fund is not intended to meet an unmet Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or to pay for rent or school supplies.
What Is Considered to Be a Financial Emergency?
- The death of an immediate family member
- An immediate family member is ill and requires your assistance
- An illness that requires immediate medical care and/or medication
- A personal injury or accident
- Other emergency situation
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
An applicant must
- be a registered Michigan Tech student at the time the application is submitted (applicant may be a part-time student),
- be facing an emergency situation (as described above),
- demonstrate financial need, and
- be committed to using funds as designated.
What Is the Award Amount?
The award amount is based on a review of your application materials by the dean of students (or the dean’s designee) and a representative from the Financial Aid Office. The amount of financial assistance awarded typically does not exceed $500.