The Michigan Tech Catalog is updated annually and requirements for degree programs may change from one catalog year to the next.
Students maintaining continuous enrollment at Michigan Tech may expect to graduate under the requirements published in the University catalog in effect at the time of their matriculation. Students who change majors will follow the requirements in effect at the time of the change.
Students who add a major, minor, or certificate will follow the requirements for the additional curriculum in effect at the time it is added.
Students who have been absent from the University for one or more years will follow the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.
Students should consult with their academic advisor for guidance when considering options in regard to their individual plan.
Graduation Residency Policy—Students must meet the following residency requirements in order to receive a baccalaureate degree from Michigan Tech:
- Thirty of the last 36 semester credit hours of academic work to be applied to the degree must have been completed at Michigan Tech. Study abroad and co-op credits earned through Michigan Tech may be included in these 30 hours if the student has completed 30 credit hours of courses at Michigan Tech among the last 60 credit hours to be applied to the degree.
- Thirty semester credit hours of advanced level courses (3000 or higher) must be completed at Michigan Tech.
Courses which meet the "at Michigan Tech" requirement are defined as courses listed in the course catalog and taught by Michigan Tech faculty either on campus, at field locations, or through distance learning.
Each degree candidate is expected to:
- Successfully complete the required courses prescribed for their chosen curriculum.
- Successfully complete the required University General Education requirements.
- Attain a cumulative University GPA of at least 2.00, and a major department GPA of at least 2.00.
- Comply with Michigan Tech's graduation residency requirements.
- File a graduation application with the Registrar's Office for each degree or certificate program the candidate intends to complete.
- Have an approved degree audit on file with the academic advisor for each academic program in which enrolled.
Michigan Tech conducts two commencement ceremonies each year that are held in the spring and fall semesters. Students completing all degree requirements in the spring or summer will be listed for the spring commencement ceremony and students completing their degree requirements in the fall will be listed for the fall commencement ceremony. Students who find it necessary to participate in a ceremony held prior to their graduation term due to extenuating circumstances must seek approval from the senior coordinator of degree services in the Registrar’s Office.
In order to be eligible to participate** in a commencement ceremony and to be listed in the commencement program, all degree candidates must:
- Be registered in the course(s) that will complete all outstanding program requirements.
- Have an approved audit on file with the academic advisor for each academic program in which enrolled.
- Have a graduation application on file for each degree and certificate in which enrolled in the Registrar's Office two semesters prior to the expected graduation term.
**Participation in a commencement ceremony is NOT equivalent to graduation. Since the ceremony may occur before final grades are submitted, it is not possible to determine if all degree requirements have been met at that time. Graduation becomes official after all grades are received and the degree notation is placed on the academic record.