- You must have an advisor before taking this exam.
- Approach it seriously, prepare rigorously, and pass it on the first attempt.
Sample PhD Qualifying Exams
- Sample of Past Ph.D. CS Qualifying Exams Sp. 2012
- Sample of Past Ph.D. CS Qualifying Exams Fa. 2011
Codification of Procedures
- The PhD Qualifying exam is composed of a Written exam, typically administered in the 4th week of the semester, followed by an Oral exam.
- A student may attempt the Qualifying exam twice.
- All students must attempt the Qualifying exam by their 3rd semester.
- Upon passing the Written exam, the Research exam can be scheduled and must be taken in the same semester of passing the Written.
- A failed Research exam does not require retaking of the Written portion.
- A failed Written exam must be retaken and passed upon the next offering of the exam.
- A failed Research exam must be retaken and passed by the end of the following semester.