Procedures for PhD Students
Please read this general overview of tasks you will need to complete by semester:
- First Semester
- Prepare for the PhD comprehensive exam including the Technical Qualifying Evaluation (TQE) and the Research Qualifying Exam (RQE).
- Submit final Official transcripts to the graduate school showing proof
of your previous degree (if not from Michigan Tech or unless done
- Fill out Patent, Research and Proprietary Rights form.
- Register for second semester courses.
- Second Semester
- Third Semester
- Complete RQE if entered the PhD program with a MS in Computer Science or a related field
- Complete TQE graduate-level breadth requirement (see the handbook (Section 2.3.1)
- Fourth Semester
- Complete RQE if entered the PhD program with a BS in Computer Science or a related field
- Fifth Semester
- Prepare for PhD dissertation proposal
- Sixth Semester
- Complete RQE if entered the PhD program with a BS or MS in an unrelated field
- Pass dissertation proposal defense
- Future Semesters