Professor, Computer Science
- PhD, Computer Science, Purdue University, 1978
- MS, Computer Science, Purdue University, 1974
- BS, Computer Science, Purdue University, 1972
Dr. Linda M. Ott received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from Purdue University in 1978. She joined Michigan Tech's faculty shortly after completing her Ph.D. and chaired the Department of Computer Science from 1996 to 2010. Her research interests are in software engineering, including software processes, software measurement, and software engineering education. She also has interests in ethical and social aspects of computing. She has been a co-PI on nearly $1.5 million in grants from industry and the National Science Foundation. Dr. Ott is a 2010 recipient of the ACM SIGSOFT Retrospective Paper Award for the paper "The Program Dependence Graph in a Software Development Environment" co-authored with Dr. Karl Ottenstein. The paper was published in SDE 1, Proceedings of the First ACM SIGSOFT/SIGPLAN Symposium on Practical Software Development Environments, April 23-25, 1994. In addition to teaching at Michigan Tech, Dr. Ott taught Advanced Software Engineering at Siberian State Aerospace University in Krasnoyarsk, Russia as a Fulbright Scholar. She also taught Ethical and Social Aspects of Computing at Beijing Normal University - Zhuhai in Zhuhai, China.
Links of Interest
Area of Expertise
- Software Measurement
- Software Processes
- Software Engineering Education
- Women in Computing
- Retention in Undergraduate CS Education
- L. Ott, "Explorations in Computing: Could this be the Key to Retention?, 2014 Frontiers in Education, Conference, Oct. 2014.
- S. Kumar and L. Ott, "Encouraging Talented High School Girls toward a Career in Computing through a Broader Understanding of the Field", 121st ASEE Annual Conference, June 2014.
- C. Brown, R. Pastel, M. Seigel, L. Ott and C. Wallace, "Adding Unit Test Experience to a Usability Centered Project Course", ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE), March 2014.
- L. M. Ott, "Object-Oriented Measurement of Software in J. Marciniak", editor, Encyclopedia of Software Engineering, Wiley, January 2002
- Linda Ott, Atte Kinula, Carolyn Seaman, Claes Wohlin. "The Role of Empirical Studies in Process Improvement", Empirical Software Engineering 4(4): 381-386, December 1999.
- L. M. Ott and J. M. Bieman. "Program Slices as an Abstraction for Cohesion Measurement", Information and Software Technology, 40, 1998, pp. 691-699.
- Dianne M. Marsh and Linda M. Ott. "Distributed Processing: Requirements for an Object-Oriented Approach", Proc. 30th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences, January 1997.
- Peck Cho, Diana George, Linda Ott, William Predebon and Philip Sweany. New Faculty Orientation and Seminar Series: Emphasis on Teaching and Learning, Proc. 1996 ASEE Annual Conference, June 1996.