Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
William and Gloria Jackson Assistant Professor
- PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Missouri
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Michigan Technological University
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Michigan Technological University
Prior to joining Michigan Tech in 2012, Tim was an NSF/CRA Computing Innovation Fellow at Michigan State University (MSU) and a Research Associate at the University of Missouri (MU). At MSU, Dr. Havens developed machine-learning methods for clustering in large heterogeneous data sets. His work at MU focused on multi-modal data fusion and detection algorithms and fuzzy clustering. Before working on his Ph.D., he was an Associate Technical Staff at MIT Lincoln Laboratory, where he analyzed airborne directed energy systems, laser-illuminated target ID systems, and GPS signals in support of the U.S. Air Force. His interests include mobile robotics, explosive hazard detection, heterogeneous and big data, fuzzy sets, and sensor networks, and data fusion. He has coauthored over 80 technical publications and is an Associate Editor of the IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems. He has been funded by Michigan DOT, USDOT, US Army, NSF, the RAND/John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Leonard Wood Institute.
Links of Interest
Areas of Interest
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- Signal and Image Processing
- Sensor and Data Fusion
- Heterogeneous Data Mining
- Explosive Hazard Detection
- S. Rajasegarar, T.C. Havens, S. Karunasekera, C. Leckie, J.C. Bezdek, M. Jamriska, A. Gunatilaka, A. Skvortsov, and M. Palaniswami. High resolution monitoring of atmospheric pollutants using a system of low-cost sensors. IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- T.C. Havens, J.C. Bezdek, C. Leckie, K. Ramamohanarao, and M. Palaniswami. A soft modularity function for detecting fuzzy communities in social networks. IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems.
- T.C. Havens, J.C. Bezdek, C. Leckie, L.O. Hall, and M. Palaniswami (2012). Fuzzy c-means algorithms for very large data. IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems, 20(6), 1130-1146. Read More
- M. Moshtaghi, J.C. Bezdek, T.C. Havens, C. Leckie, S. Karunasekera, S. Rajasegarar, and M. Palaniswami. Streaming analysis in wireless sensor networks. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing.
- T.C. Havens and J.C. Bezdek (2012). An efficient formulation of the improved visual assessment of tendency (iVAT) algorithm. IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Engineering 24(5), 813-822. Read More
- D.T. Anderson, T.C. Havens, C. Wagner, J.M. Keller, M.F. Anderson, and D.J. Wescott (2014). Extension of the fuzzy integral for general fuzzy set-valued information. IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems., 22(6), 1625-1639
- C. Wagner, S. Miller, J.M. Garibaldi, D.T. Anderson, and T.C. Havens (2015). From interval-valued data to general type-2 fuzzy sets. IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems, 23(2), 248-269.
- J. Su and T.C. Havens. Quadratic program-based modularity maximization for fuzzy community detection in social networks. IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems.
- Spatial Coherence Imaging and Machine Learning Approach for Standoff Detection Using Forward-Looking Ground-Penetrating Radar ($386,942), US Army, 2013-2015, PI
- Advanced Signal Processing and Detection Algorithms for Handheld Explosive Hazard Detection ($816,223), US Army, 2013-2015, Co-PI (PI: Joseph Burns)
- Evaluating the Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for Transportation Purposes ($240,889), MDOT, 2013-2015, Co-PI (PI: Colin Brooks).
- NURail Center - Tier I ($299,966), US DOT, 2014-2016, Co-PI (PI: Pasi Lautala)
- NURail Center ($788,295), USDOT, 2012-2016, Co-PI (PI: Pasi Lautala)