Counseling Services

Worried About Someone?

Rock garden

Are you a faculty or staff member, parent, friend, or roommate who is worried about a student in distress? If you are concerned about a Michigan Tech student contact Counseling Services at 906-487-2538 and ask to speak with one of the counselors. If you are calling after hours please contact Public Safety at 906-487-2216 and ask to speak to the counselor on-call.

Please be aware that we can take information about a student and provide general information. We cannot legally provide confidential client information without written permission.

If you have concerns about the physical well-being of a student contact Public Safety who will conduct a health and well-being check. This check is conducted to ensure that the student is safe and provided the resources necessary to make sure that safety is continued. If you are a parent that hasn't heard from their son or daughter for an extended period of time and are concerned for their well-being you should contact the Dean of Students Office at 906-487-2212, so that the appropriate university staff can attempt to locate the student.

If it is an emergency involving physical harm or a threat to life, call Public Safety or dial 911 (if you are out of the area dial 866-411-0018 to reach Negaunee Central Dispatch). In cases of psychological emergencies, contact Counseling Services during business hours or Public Safety during after hours.