Counseling is a confidential service in accordance with legal limitations (see below), as well as professional and ethical guidelines.
Confidentiality means that your contact with this office does not go on your academic record and that clinical materials will not be disclosed to any other office or individual unless you have signed a written release for this to occur.
Our staff members are exempt from Title IX and they do not report crimes that include sexual violence (including rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment) to university officials.
Some limits to confidentiality
Counselors are required to release certain information in situations in which there is:
- Potential harm to yourself or others,
- Possible child or elder abuse, or
- A court order
Security of our records
Counseling Services maintains security for all written and computer records of counseling.
- All digital student files are kept separate from the Michigan Tech student database and are only accessible to Counseling Services Staff.
- All paper student files are stored in locked file cabinets. Access to these cabinets are limited to Counseling Services Staff only.
- Access to these records are limited to Counseling Services staff, unless a written release is received or by court order.
*If you have any further questions regarding confidentiality, please contact Counseling Services at 906-487-2538