- Meese Center 207
Assistant Professor of Psychology, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
- PhD, Engineering Psychology (minor in HCI), Georgia Institute of Technology, 2012
Philart is an assistant professor in the Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences at Michigan Tech and director of the Mind, Music and Machine Lab. His research areas encompass auditory displays, affective computing, assistive technologies, and automotive interface design. His research has yielded more than 70 publications across various journals and conference proceedings. He received his PhD from Georgia Tech in 2012. Previously, Philart worked at LG Electronics and was responsible for all of their automotive user interface and sound designs. In addition, Philart has led many other industry projects in collaboration with Toyota, Hyundai-Kia Motors, General Electric, Samsung Electronics, and Panasonic Automotive, etc. His works have been recognized by awards such as the IF Communication Design Award, and the Korean Ergonomic Design Award.
- Human-Computer Interaction/ Interaction Design
- Auditory Displays/ Sonification
- Affective Computing/ Emotional Design
- Automotive User Interfaces
- Assistive Technology for Special Populations
- Jeon, M., Walker, B. N., & Srivastava, A. (2012). “Spindex” (speech index) enhances menu navigation on touch screen devices with tapping, wheeling, and flicking gestures, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI), 19(2), 14:1-27. Read More
- Jeon, M., Gupta, S., Davison, B. K., & Walker, B. N. (2012). Speech menus are not just spoken visual menus: A case study of “unavailable” menu items, Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 60(7/8), 505-518.
- Walker, B. N., Lindsay, J., Nance, A., Nakano, Y., Palladino, D. K., Dingler, T., & Jeon, M. (2012 July, OnlineFirst Version). Spearcons (Speech-based earcons) improve navigation performance in advanced auditory menus, Human Factors.
- Jeon, M., & Walker, B. N. (2011). Spindex (speech index) improves auditory menu acceptance and navigation performance, ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing (TACCESS), 3(3), 10:1-26. Read More
- Jeon, M., & Rayan, I. A. (2011). The effect of physical embodiment of an animal robot on affective prosody recognition, In J.A. Jacko (Ed.), Human-Computer Interaction, PartII, HCII 2011, Lecture Note in Computer Science (LNCS) 6762, 523-532. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Suh, H., Jeon, M., & & Walker, B. N. (2012). Spearcons improve navigation performance and perceived speediness in Korean auditory menus, Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES2012), Boston, MA, October 22-26, 2012.
- Jeon, M., Riener, A., Lee, J-H., Schuett, J., & Walker, B. N. (2012). Cross-cultural differences in the use of in-vehicle technologies and vehicle area network services: Austria, USA, and South Korea, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Vehicular Applications (AutomotiveUI’12), Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA, October 17 – 19, 2012.
- Jeon, M. (2012). A systematic approach to using music for mitigating affective effects on driving performance and safety, Proceedings of the 14th ACM International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp’12), ACM Press, Pittsburgh, USA, September 5-8, 2012.
- Jeon, M., Winton, R. J., Yim, J-B., Bruce, C. M., & Walker, B. N. (2012). AquariumFugue: Interactive sonification for children and visually impaired audience in informal learning environments, Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Auditory Display (ICAD2012), Atlanta, GA, USA, June, 2012. Read More
- Jeon, M., Nazneen, Akanser, O., Ayala-Acevedo, A., & Walker, B. N. (2012). “Listen2dRoom”: Helping blind individuals understand room layouts, ACM CHI Extended Abstracts Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’12), ACM Press, Austin, TX, May, 2012. Read More
- Jeon, M., Yim, J-B., & Walker, B. N. (2011). An angry driver is not the same as a fearful driver: Different effects of specific negative emotions on risk perception, driving performance, and workload, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Vehicular Applications (AutomotiveUI’11), Salzburg, Austria, November 29 - December 2. Read More
- Jeon, M., Schuett, J, Yim, J-B., Raman, P., & Walker, B. N. (2011). ENGIN (Exploring Next Generation IN-vehicle INterfaces): Drawing a new conceptual framework through iterative participatory processes, Adjunct Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Vehicular Applications (AutomotiveUI’11), Salzburg, Austria, November 29 - December 2.
- Jeon, M., Roberts, J., Raman, P., Yim, J-B., Walker, B. N. (2011). Participatory design process for an in-vehicle affect detection and regulation system for various drivers, Proceedings of the 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility (ASSETS’11), October 24–26, 2011, Dundee, Scotland. Read More
- Jeon, M., & Walker, B. N. (2011). What to detect? Analyzing factor structures of affect in driving contexts for an emotion detection and regulation system,Proceedings of the 55th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES2011), Las Vegas, Nevada, September, 19-23, 2011. pp. 1889-1893.
- Jeon, M., & Walker, B. N. (2011). Emotion detection and regulation interface for drivers with traumatic brain injury, ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’11), Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 7–12, 2011.