- Meese Center 105
Adjunct Professor of Psychology, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
- PhD, Applied Experimental Psychology, Liverpool John Moores University, United Kingdom, 2002
After completing his graduate education in the UK, Paul Ward began his post-doctoral research in Applied Experimental and Human Factors Psychology at the University of Central Florida (2002-2003). He continued his post-doctoral work in Applied Cognitive Science at Florida State University at the Learning Systems Institute's Center for Expert Performance Research (2004-2006). In 2006, he became Assistant Professor of Psychology (in the Cognitive program) at Florida State University. In 2010, he took up his current position as Associate Professor of Psychology, and Director of the Applied Cognitive Science and Human Factors PhD program in the Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences at Michigan Technological University.
Links of Interest
- Study of Expertise
- Perceptual-Cognitive Skills
- Skill Acquisition
- Applied Cognition
- Cognitive Engineering
- Human Factors
- Sports Science
- Hoffman, R. R., Ward, P., Feltovich, P. J., DiBello, L., Fiore, S. M., Andrews, D., (2013). Accelerated expertise: Training for high proficiency in a complex world. New York, NY: Psychology Press. Read More
- Suss, J., & Ward, P. (In press). Predicting the future in perceptual-motor domains: Perceptual anticipation, option generation and expertise. In R. R. Hoffman, P. A. Hancock, M. Scerbo, and J. L. Szalma (Eds.), Cambridge handbook of applied perception research (pp.XX-XX). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Ward, P. (In press). Cognitive task analysis. In R. C. Eklund and G. Tenenbaum (Eds.), Encyclopedia of sport and exercise psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Ward, P. (In press). Verbal protocols. In R. C. Eklund and G. Tenenbaum (Eds.), Encyclopedia of sport and exercise psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Harris, K. R., Eccles, D. W., Ward, P., & Whyte, J. (2013). A theoretical framework for simulation in nursing: Answering Schiavenato’s (2009) call. Journal of Nursing Education, 52(1), 6-16. DOI: 10.3928/01484834-20121107-02 (IF = 0.870)
- Land, W., Tenenbaum, G., Ward, P., & Marquardt, C. (In press). Examination of visual information as a mediator of external focus benefits. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology.
- Ward, P., Ericsson, K. A., & Williams, A. M. (In press). Complex perceptual-cognitive expertise in a simulated task environment. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making. First published on October 3, 2012 as doi:10.1177/1555343412461254
- Whyte, J., Ward, P., Eccles, D. W., Nandagopal, K., & Harris, K. R. (2012). Nurses immediate response to the fall of a hospitalized patient: A comparison of actions and cognitions in experienced and novice nurses. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 49, 1054-1063.