- EERC 327
Associate Professor, School of Technology
Program Chair, Mechanical Engineering Technology
Adjunct Associate Professor, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
- EdD, Curriculum and Instruction, Wayne State University
- MS, Occupation Education, Ferris State University
- BS, Trade-Technical Teacher Education, Ferris State University
- AAS, Mechanical Design Engineering Technology, Michigan Technological University
John Irwin is an associate professor and program chair of mechanical engineering technology in the School of Technology at Michigan Tech. His areas of expertise include jig, fixture, and gage design; the design and manufacture of environmental simulation chambers and A/C units for locomotives and mass-transit units; and the design and testing of residential axial flux alternator turbine systems.
Irwin is the principal investigator on a Michigan Department of Education project to improve teacher quality through the Educators’ Professional Development Institute Series, which focuses on topics in the physical sciences, particularly physics and chemistry. In addition to advising the Delta Zeta Chapter of the Epsilon Pi Tau Honor Society, Irwin is an active member of several professional organizations: the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, the Association of Technology Management and Applied Engineering, and the American Society of Engineering Educators--Engineering Technology Division. Irwin is involved with the Greek community on campus, serving as the faculty advisor for the Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity.
- Problem-based learning methods applied in the areas of CAD/CAM
- Dynamic model simulation
- Product and manufacturing work cell verification
- Parametric modeling
- Product design and development
- CAE and FEA methods
- Computer-aided manufacturing
- Irwin, J. L. 2010. Graphics Course Formative Feedback and Teaching Innovation Using Screen Capture Technology, Technology Interface Journal, Spring, Vol. 10 (3), ISSN# 1523-9926.
- Irwin, J. L., P. Nutter, D. Kirby. 2010. Online Simulation Tools for Advanced Manufacturing Workforce Development Needs–Lessons Learned in Higher Education, Manufacturing Engineering, SME, USA, March 2010, Page 9.
- Alaraje, A. N. S., J. L. Irwin. 2009. The Electrical Engineering Technology Program, ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, Page 14.
- Irwin, J. L. 2009. Horizontal vs. Vertical Axial Flux Wind Turbine Design and Manufacture, Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering Proceedings.
- Irwin, J. L., A. N. S. Alaraje. 2009. ABET Accreditation: Resolving a Weakness or Concern, ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, Page 13.
- PACE/3D Connextion Grant
- 2Q & 3Q PACE SpacePilot Grant