Little HuskiesChild Development
Enrollment Criteria – Application Information
Philosophy: The Little Huskies Child Development Center exists to encourage and support each child to grow and develop in a caring and nurturing environment. The Center will be an asset to the University and supports the first goal of the University’s Strategic Plan to attract and support world-class faculty, staff, and students. The Center is one of the many people-focused work/life initiatives intended to provide an outstanding work and educational environment for Michigan Tech faculty, staff, and students.
The Little Huskies Child Development Center gives priority to children whose parents or legal guardians are students or employees of Michigan Tech. Enrollment will be reviewed semi-annually on August 15 and January 5 and if spaces are available, community children may be admitted at an increased tuition rate.
Registrations Instructions: To register, please complete the Application Form and return to Little Huskies Child Development Center, 500 MacInnes Dr. Houghton MI 49931, with an application fee of $50 for student parents and $100 for faculty and staff parents for each child you wish to put on the enrollment waitlist. The application fee is non-refundable and allows your child(ren) to be placed on the Little Huskies Child Development Center’s waitlist. Payments can be made by check or money order, made out to Gretchen’s House Childcare Centers. The application form is available online, but must be completed individually for each child to be placed on the waitlist and delivered to the Little Huskies Child Development Center in person, by mail, or fax. The application form is available at www.mtu.edu/childcare/
Only when both the application form and fee have been received, your child will be place on the waitlist for the Center. The Center’s Director will contact you to verify your child’s placement on the waitlist. Please contact the Director if you do not receive confirmation within 5 working days.
Once you have been notified of a vacancy by either email or phone, you must respond with intent to enroll within 5 working days if you would like to enroll your child. Failure to respond within the time period will be treated as a declination to the offer and you are no longer on the waitlist (your deposit will be forfeited). It is your responsibility to keep the Center informed of your current email address or phone number and your responsibility to inform the Center of any vacation, sabbatical, sick leave or any time that you are scheduled away from your phone and/or email address.
Priority of Enrollment
Priority is given to children enrolled full-time
Initial Opening Placement:
- Children of full-time (greater than 75% time) faculty and staff, and full-time students with priority determined by the date your application and fee were received.
- Children of part-time (less than 75% time) faculty and staff, and part-time students with priority determined by the date your application and fee were received.
Priority Placement Guidelines:
- Children already enrolled in Center and are developmentally ready to transition to the next age group will be moved into vacancies as they become available.
- Siblings of children already enrolled at the Center. This allows families to be together in the same center.
- Children of full-time (greater than 75% time) faculty and staff, and full-time students determined by the date your application and fee were received.
- Children of part-time (less than 75% time) faculty and staff, and part-time students determined by the date your application and fee were received.
Parents or legal guardians that are no longer employed or a student at the University will be able to keep their child enrolled in the Center for 3 months at the Michigan Tech rate but after the 3 months will be assessed the community tuition rate.
*The Michigan Tech Childcare Board reserves the right to revise any item(s) in this document. December 6, 2007