- Chem Sci 701B
Associate Professor, Chemistry
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University
- PhD, University of Toronto
- MSc, University of Toronto
- BSc, University of Toronto
Rudy Luck, a member of the inorganic chemistry division at MTU, has research experience in the area of low valent molybdenum complexes capable of activating dinitrogen. His research has also focused on the synthesis and characterization of heteronuclear quadruply-bonded metal-metal complexes and contributions in the area of molecular dihydrogen compounds. Work in this latter area has had an impact on the interpretation of the result from the T1 nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic measurement, which is applied towards the characterization of complexes suspected of containing the molecular dihydrogen ligand. More recent work has featured investigations into the catalytic applications of metal-oxo/peroxo systems in the area of epoxidation of olefins and the construction of metallo-framework cluster materials. Complexes are analyzed by the usual spectroscopic techniques and by single crystal X-ray diffraction using an Enraf-Nonius Turbo CAD4 diffractometer.
Links of Interest
- Low-valent molybdenum complexes capable of activating dinitrogen
- Synthesis and characterization of heteronuclear quadruply bonded metal-metal complexes
- Molecular dihydrogen compounds
- Catalytic applications of metal-oxo/peroxo systems in the area of epoxidation of olefins
- Construction of metallo-framework cluster materials
- Maass, J. S.; Zeller, M.; Luck, R. L. "Synthesis and Crystal Structure of the Octametallic Ferrocene Containing Molybdenum(V) Cluster Mo4(μ3-O)4(μ2-O2P(CH2)2Fc)4O4 and Crystal Structure of 1,1'-Bis(Chloromethyl)Ferrocene"J. Cluster Sci., 2012, 23, 713-726.
- Maass, J. S.; Zeller, M.; Breault, T. M.; Bartlett, B. M.; Sakiyama, H.; Luck, R. L. "Syntheses and Structures of Three Complexes of Formulas [L3Co(μ2-O2P(Bn)2)3CoL'][L"], Featuring Octahedral and Tetrahedral Cobalt(II) Geometries; Variable-Temperature Magnetic Susceptibility Measurement and Analysis on [(py)3Co(μ2-O2PBn2)3Co(py)][ClO4]" Inorg. Chem. (Washington, DC, U. S.), 2012, 51, 4903-4905.
- Maass, J. S.; Luck, R. L.; Zeller, M. "The first dinuclear cobalt complex bridged by acetylamidate ligands: di-μ-acetylamido-κ2 O:N;κ2 N:O-di-μ-hydroxido-κ4 O:O-bis[bis(pyridine-κN)cobalt(III)] bis(perchlorate) acetonitrile disolvate" Acta Crystallogr., Sect. C: Cryst. Struct. Commun., 2012, C68, m233-m234.
- Maass, J. S.; Chen, Z.; Zeller, M.; Tuna, F.; Winpenny, R. E. P.; Luck, R. L. "Syntheses, X-ray Structural Characterizations, and Thermal Stabilities of Two Nonclassical Trinuclear Vanadium(IV) Complexes, (V3(μ3-O)O2)(μ2-O2P(CH2C6H5)2)6(H2O) and (V3(μ3-O)O2)(μ2-O2P(CH2C6H5)2)6(py), and Polymeric Complexes of Stoichiometry (VO(O2PR2)2)∞, R2 = Ph2 and o-(CH2)2(C6H4)" Inorg. Chem. (Washington, DC, U. S.), 2012, 51, 2766-2776.
- Maass, J. S.; Zeller, M.; Holmes, D.; Bayse, C. A.; Luck, R. L. "Syntheses, 95Mo NMR Spectroscopy and Structures of Distorted Cubic Mo4(μ3-O)4(μ2-O2P(CH2C6H5)2)4O4 and the Open Mixed-Valent Cluster, Mo4(μ3-O)2(μ2-O2P(CH2C6H5)2)6O6" J. Cluster Sci., 2011, 22, 193-210.
- Maass, J. S.; Chen, Z.; Zeller, M.; Luck, R. L. "Expanding molecular transition metal cubane clusters of the form [M4(μ3-O)4]12+: syntheses, spectroscopic and structural characterizations of molecules M4(μ3-O)4(O2P(Bn)2)4(O4), M = VV and WV" Dalton Trans., 2011, 40, 11356-11358.
- Feng, L.; Maass, J. S.; Luck, R. L. "Synthesis and characterization of four cubical molybdenum(V) tetramers and their catalytic properties for the epoxidation of cis-cyclooctene using H2O2" Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2011, 373, 85-92.
- Feng, L.; Luck, R. L. "Synthesis and Structural Characterization of a Dimolybdenum Complex Bridged by the Hydroxymethylphenylphosphinate Ligand" J. Chem. Crystallogr., 2011, 41, 1317-1322.
- Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, R. L.; Urnezius, E. "Multimetallic compounds based on phosphine- and phosphoryl- appended p-hydroquinones: Unusual structural features and rich redox behavior" 2011, INOR-1023.
- Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, R. L.; Johnson, K. E.; Urnezius, E. "Bimetallic and multimetallic compounds based on phosphine- and phosphoryl- appended p-hydroquinones: Structural, electrochemical and computational investigations" 2011, NORM-172.
- Luck, R. L.; Maass, J. S.; Zeller, M. "Distorted cubic, almost flat tetramers and trimers from the stabilization of molybdenum and vanadium oxides with dialkyl phosphonates" 2011, INOR-449.
- Urnezius, E.; Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, K. A.; Luck, R. L. "4,5-Dibromoveratrole as a versatile synthetic platform: Syntheses of frustrated Lewis pairs and of redox-active metalloligands" 2010, INOR-799.
- Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, R. L.; Urnezius, E. "Bimetallic nickel complexes based on phosphine appended p-hydroquinone show rich electrochemistry" 2010, INOR-969.
- Feng, L.; Luck, R. L.; Maass, J. S. "Syntheses, properties and olefin epoxidation reactivities of "Mo-4O8" clusters stabilized by phosphinate ligands" 2010, INOR-910.