Zhanping You, PE
- Dillman 301A
- Professor, Transportation Engineering
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dr. Zhanping You received his PhD in civil engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2003. He is a Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Michigan Technological University since 2008. He served as an Associate and Assistant Professor at Michigan Technological University and as an Assistant Professor at Texas A&M University – Kingsville. He has held a Professional Engineering license since 2005.
Professor You has over 20 years of practical and research experience with pavements engineering and materials. In his capacity as a Professor, he has completed research projects on a wide range of subjects including pavement mechanistic design, warm mix asphalt, rubber asphalt, nano modified asphalt materials, micromechanics based models for pavement materials, electronic waste plastics application, self-healing materials for pavements, and bio asphalt derived from biomass. Sponsors of his research program include: National Science Foundation (NSF), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), Federal Highway Administration, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), and Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). He also served as a principal investigator and director of the Center of Excellence for Transportation Materials, which is a partnership between MDOT and Michigan Technological University.
His contribution to pavement and materials research has been featured in newspapers, magazines, and other media. Professor You has published over 200 papers in journals and conference proceedings. These publications include prestigious journals such as the Journal of the Transportation Research Board published by the National Academy of Sciences, the ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Road Materials and Pavement Design, Construction and Building Materials, and the Journal of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists. In addition, he has also delivered over 100 presentations worldwide.
Professor You has been an effective teacher with his unique teaching philosophy. His teaching interests include transportation materials, pavement design, asphalt pavement engineering, and transportation engineering. He has taught over 10 different courses in Texas and Michigan, including a short course on roadway design for TxDOT. At Michigan Tech, he has developed and improved asphalt pavement courses for graduate students and senior undergraduate students. In 2009, he received the ASCE fellowship of Excellence in Engineering Education (ExCEEd), and he attended the Teaching Workshop at the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Professor You is an active member in the professional community. He has served as an associate editor for the American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering since 2008. He is also a member of the Board of Directors for the International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Malaysian Construction Research Journal, and the Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (published by Elsevier). He has been involved in professional services for many professional organizations including: ASCE (Chair of Mechanics of Pavements Committee and Vice Chair of Bituminous Materials Committee), the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM). He has also provided professional services to the Federal Aviation Administration, U.S. Army, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, U.S. EPA, and NSF as a grant reviewer. Services were also provided to agencies in Canada, France, Spain, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Mainland China, and Hong Kong as well as in over 20 technical committees in various organizations. Professor You has reviewed technical papers for over 25 journals and has edited four ASCE special publication books. Currently, he is an editor of a special publication on pavement engineering mechanics by ASCE and is a guest editor for special issues of Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. He also received honorable guest professorships from overseas such as the Changjiang Scholar Program awarded by China Education Ministry in 2015. In 2004 and 2005 he was a recipient of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Faculty Fellowship.
Links of Interest
- Pavement design and analysis
- Civil engineering materials
- Bituminous materials
- Sustainable pavement engineering
- Advanced asphalt materials
- Pavement mechanics
- Simulations and modeling of pavement materials
- Pavements and transportation materials
- Nano materials
- Modified asphalt
- Bio asphalt
- Recycled materials for civil engineering application
- Mechanical testing and constitutive modeling of asphalt binders and mixtures
- Finite element analysis
- Discrete element analysis
- Buttlar, W. G. and Z. You (2001). "Discrete element modeling of asphalt concrete: microfabric approach." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1757(1): 111-118.
- Dai, Q. and Z. You (2007). "Prediction of creep stiffness of asphalt mixture with micromechanical finite-element and discrete-element models." Journal of Engineering Mechanics 133(2): 163-173.
- Liu, Y. and Z. You (2010). "Discrete-element modeling: impacts of aggregate sphericity, orientation, and angularity on creep stiffness of idealized asphalt mixtures." Journal of Engineering Mechanics 137(4): 294-303.
- You, Z., et al. (2009). "Dynamic modulus simulation of the asphalt concrete using the X-ray computed tomography images." Materials and Structures 42(5): 617-630.
- You, Z. and W. Buttlar (2004). "Discrete element modeling to predict the modulus of asphalt concrete mixtures." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 16(2): 140-146.
- You, Z. and W. G. Buttlar (2006). "Micromechanical modeling approach to predict compressive dynamic moduli of asphalt mixtures using the distinct element method." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1970(1): 73-83.
- You, Z., et al. (2011). "Evaluation of low-temperature binder properties of warm-mix asphalt, extracted and recovered RAP and RAS, and Bioasphalt." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 23(11): 1569-1574.
- ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 184 “Pavements and Materials: Modeling, Testing and Performance,” published by ASCE, edited by You, Z., Abbas, A., and Wang, L., ISBN 978-0-7844-1008-0, proceedings, Symposium of Pavement Mechanics and Materials, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference 2008, Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 18-21, 2008.
- ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 182 "Pavements and Materials: Characterization, Modeling, and Simulation," published by ASCE, edited by You, Z., Abbas, A., and Wang, L., ISBN10 # 0784409862 and ISBN13 # 9780784409862, 178 pages, proceedings, Symposium of Pavement Mechanics, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division Conference 2007, June 3-6, 2007.