- Dillman 301A
Professor, Transportation Engineering
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dr. Zhanping You received his Ph.D. in civil engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is a Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Michigan Technological University. He served as an Associate and Assistant Professor at Michigan Technological University and Assistant Professor at Texas A&M University – Kingsville.
Professor You has an active research program in the areas of transportation materials. He has published over 150 papers in journals and conference proceedings. Professor You has published papers in prestigious journals such as the Journal of the Transportation Research Board published by the National Academy of Sciences; the ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering; ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering; Road Materials and Pavement Design; Construction and Building Materials; Journal of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists.
Sponsors of his research program include: National Science Foundation (NSF), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), Federal Highway Administration, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), and Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). He served as a principal investigator and director of the Center of Excellence for Transportation Materials, a partnership between MDOT and Michigan Technological University.
His teaching interests include transportation materials, pavement design, asphalt pavement engineering, and transportation engineering. Professor You has taught over 10 different courses in Texas and Michigan, including a short course on roadway design for TxDOT. At Michigan Tech, he has developed and improved asphalt pavement courses for graduate students and senior undergraduate students. He received the ASCE fellowship of Excellence in Engineering Education (ExCEEd), and he attended the Teaching Workshop at the United States Military Academy at West Point in 2009.
Professor You has serves as an associate editor for the American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. He is also a member of the Board of Directors for the International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Malaysian Construction Research Journal, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering. He has been involved in professional services for many professional organizations including: ASCE (Chair of Mechanics of Pavements Committee, Vice Chair of Bituminous Materials Committee), the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM). He also provided professional services to the Federal Aviation Administration, U.S. Army, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, U.S. EPA, and NSF as a grant reviewer. He is a member of ASCE and AAPT and has served in over 15 technical committees in various organizations. Professor You has reviewed technical papers for over 25 journals. He was an editor of four ASCE special publication. He is an editor of a special publication on pavement engineering mechanics by ASCE. He is a guest editor for special issues of Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. In 2004 and 2005 he was also a recipient of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Faculty Fellowship.
Links of Interest
- Pavements and transportation materials
- Nano materials
- Modified asphalt
- Bio asphalt
- Recycled materials for civil engineering application
- Mechanical testing and constitutive modeling of asphalt binders and mixtures
- Finite element analysis
- Discrete element analysis
- Buttlar, W. G. and Z. You (2001). "Discrete element modeling of asphalt concrete: microfabric approach." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1757(1): 111-118.
- Dai, Q. and Z. You (2007). "Prediction of creep stiffness of asphalt mixture with micromechanical finite-element and discrete-element models." Journal of Engineering Mechanics 133(2): 163-173.
- Liu, Y. and Z. You (2010). "Discrete-element modeling: impacts of aggregate sphericity, orientation, and angularity on creep stiffness of idealized asphalt mixtures." Journal of Engineering Mechanics 137(4): 294-303.
- You, Z., et al. (2009). "Dynamic modulus simulation of the asphalt concrete using the X-ray computed tomography images." Materials and Structures 42(5): 617-630.
- You, Z. and W. Buttlar (2004). "Discrete element modeling to predict the modulus of asphalt concrete mixtures." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 16(2): 140-146.
- You, Z. and W. G. Buttlar (2006). "Micromechanical modeling approach to predict compressive dynamic moduli of asphalt mixtures using the distinct element method." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1970(1): 73-83.
- You, Z., et al. (2011). "Evaluation of low-temperature binder properties of warm-mix asphalt, extracted and recovered RAP and RAS, and Bioasphalt." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 23(11): 1569-1574.
- ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 184 “Pavements and Materials: Modeling, Testing and Performance,” published by ASCE, edited by You, Z., Abbas, A., and Wang, L., ISBN 978-0-7844-1008-0, proceedings, Symposium of Pavement Mechanics and Materials, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference 2008, Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 18-21, 2008.