- Dillman 301A
Professor, Transportation Engineering
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dr. Zhanping You received his Ph.D. in civil engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is currently an Associate Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Michigan Technological University. He served as an Assistant Professor at Texas A&M University – Kingsville and later at Michigan Technological University.
Professor You has an active research program in the areas of transportation materials. He has published over 100 papers in journals and conference proceedings. Professor You has published papers in prestigious journals such as the Journal of the Transportation Research Board published by the National Academy of Sciences; the ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering; ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering; Road Materials and Pavement Design; Construction and Building Materials; Journal of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists; International Journal of Geomechanics; Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering; International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Materials and Structures; International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics; and the International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology.
Sponsors of his research program include: National Science Foundation (NSF), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), Federal Highway Administration, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), and Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). He served as a principal investigator and director of the Center of Excellence for Transportation Materials, a partnership between MDOT and Michigan Technological University.
His teaching interests include transportation materials, pavement design, asphalt pavement engineering, and transportation engineering. Professor You has taught over 10 different courses in Texas and Michigan, including a short course on roadway design for TxDOT. At Michigan Tech, he has developed and improved asphalt pavement courses for graduate students and senior undergraduate students. He received the ASCE fellowship of Excellence in Engineering Education (ExCEEd), and he attended the Teaching Workshop at the United States Military Academy at West Point in 2009.
Professor You has serves as an associate editor for the American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. He is also a member of the Board of Directors for the International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology. He has been involved in professional services for many professional organizations including: ASCE, the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM). He also provided professional services to the Federal Aviation Administration, U.S. Army, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, U.S. EPA, and NSF as a grant reviewer. He is a member of ASCE and AAPT and has served in over 15 technical committees in various organizations. Professor You has reviewed technical papers for over 20 journals. He was an editor of three ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication books published in 2008, 2009, and 2011 respectively. He is an editor of a special publication on pavement engineering mechanics by ASCE. He is a guest editor for a special issue of Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. In 2004 and 2005 he was also a recipient of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Faculty Fellowship.
Links of Interest
- Pavements and transportation materials
- Mechanical testing and constitutive modeling of asphalt binders and mixtures
- Analysis and control of thermal and reflective cracking in asphalt pavement and overlays
- Finite element analysis
- Discrete element analysis
- Constitutive model development, pavement fracture, and instrumentation
- ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication. GSP 213. Road Pavement and Material Characterization, Modeling, and Maintenance. Edited by Wynand JvdM Steyn, Xueyan Liu, Yusuf Mehta, and Zhanping You, GeoHunan 2011. Reston, VA: ASCE, 978-0-7844-7624-6, pg. NA, 2011.
- ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Special Publication 1, “Pavements and Materials: Testing and Modeling in Multiple Length Scales,” edited by Rafiqul A. Tarefder, Ph.D., P.E.; Yong-Rak Kim, Ph.D., P.E.; Zhanping You, Ph.D., P.E.; Linbing Wang, Ph.D., P.E., 2010, , 218 pp., ISBN 9780784411292, proceedings, Symposium of Pavement Mechanics and Materials, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference 2010, Los Angeles, California, August 8-11, 2010.
- ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 184 “Pavements and Materials: Modeling, Testing and Performance,” published by ASCE, edited by You, Z., Abbas, A., and Wang, L., ISBN 978-0-7844-1008-0, proceedings, Symposium of Pavement Mechanics and Materials, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference 2008, Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 18-21, 2008.
- ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 182 “Pavements and Materials: Characterization, Modeling, and Simulation,” published by ASCE, edited by You, Z., Abbas, A., and Wang, L., ISBN10 # 0784409862 and ISBN13 # 9780784409862, 178 pages, proceedings, Symposium of Pavement Mechanics, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division Conference 2007, June 3-6, 2007.
- Hainian Wang, Peiwen Hao, Zhanping You, Laboratory Evaluation on High Temperature Viscosity and Low Temperature Stiffness of Asphalt Binder with High Percent Scrap Tire Rubber, Construction and Building Materials.
- Colbert, B. and You, Z., The Determination of Mechanical Performance of Laboratory Produced Hot Mix Asphalt Mixtures Using Controlled RAP and Virgin Aggregate Size Fractions, Construction and Building Materials 26 (2012), pp. 655-662
- Cao, D., Ji, J., Liu, Q., He, Z., Wang, H., and You, Z., Coal Gangue Applied to Low-Volume Roads in China，Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board，Issue Number: 2204， Publisher: Transportation Research Board，pp 258-266, ISSN: 0361-1981