Noel R. Urban
- 306 GLRC
Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- BS, Environmental Engineering, Syracuse University
- BA, Russian Language and Culture, Syracuse University
Dr. Urban's research interests include the Great Lakes, environmental cycles of major and trace elements, sediment diagenesis and stratigraphy, chemistry of natural organic matter, wetland biogeochemistry, environmental impact and fate of pollutants, influence of organisms on the chemical environment, and the role of chemical environment in controlling populations. Research projects he is currently involved in include Assessment of Mining Impacts on Stream Mouths of the Keweenaw"," "Integrated Assessment of Torch Lake AOC," and "Carbon cycling in the Great Lakes." He has published in a variety of journals, including the Journal of Great Lakes Research, Limnology and Oceanography, Geochimicia et Cosmochimica Acta, Journal of Geophysical Research, and Biogeochemistry.
Links of Interest
- Environmental cycles of major and trace elements
- Sediment diagenesis and stratigraphy
- Chemistry of natural organic matter
- Wetland biogeochemistry
- Environmental impact and fate of pollutants
- Influence of organisms on the chemical environment
- Role of chemical environment in controlling populations
- Atilla, N., McKinley, G.A., Bennington, V., Baehr, M., Urban, N.R., DeGrandpre, M., Desai, A.R., Wu, C. 2010, Observed Variability of Lake Superior pCO2, Limnol. Oceanogr., 56(3):775-786.
- McDonald, C.P., Urban, N.R., Casey, C.M. 2010, Modeling historical trends in Lake Superior total nitrogen concentrations, J. Great Lakes Res. 36(4):715-721.
- McDonald, C.P., Urban, NR, Barkach, JH, McCauley, D. 2009, Copper profiles in the sediments of a mining-impacted lake, Journal Soils and Sediments, 10(3):343-349.
- McDonald, CP, Urban, NR, 2009, Using a model selection criterion to identify appropriate complexity in aquatic biogeochemical models, Ecol. Modeling, 221(3): 428-432.
- Schultz, P., Urban NR, 2007, Effects of bacterial dynamics on organic matter decomposition and nutrient release from sediments: A modeling study, Ecol. Modeling, doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel. 2007.06.026
- Urban, NR, MT Auer, SA Green, D Apul, L Bub, KD Elenbaas, X Lu, 2005, Carbon cycling in L. Superior, J. Geophys. Res., 110(C6): doi: 10.1029/2003JC002230 C06S90
- Urban, NR, Apul, D.S., Auer, MT, 2004, Planktonic Respiration Rates in Lake Superior, J. Great Lakes Res., 30(Suppl. 1):230-244