Theresa M. Ahlborn
Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director, Center for Structural Durability
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- MS, Civil Engineering, Michigan Technological University
- BS, Civil Engineering, Michigan Technological University
Dr. Ahlborn has an active research program in the area of concrete materials related to prestressed concrete bridges, including high performance and ultra-high performance concrete (UHPC) applications. She has published 30 papers in various journals and conference proceedings. She is director of the Center for Structural Durability with the Michigan Tech Transportation Institute and provides a solid research link between industry and government. She seeks solutions related to long-term durability of prestressed concrete structures and she also conducts research on other transportation structure topics including remote sensing for bridge condition assessment, steel bridge deterioration and overhead sign support structures under fatigue duress. Dr. Ahlborn has directed 25 graduate students to completion.
Her teaching interests include: Prestressed Concrete and Reinforced Concrete Design and Structural Analysis. Dr. Ahlborn has taught over 1000 students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels during her teaching career at Michigan Tech. She often ranks in the top ten percent of instructors at Michigan Tech based on student evaluation results. Dr. Ahlborn is a licensed professional engineer with industrial experience in the design of bridges, dams, and hydropower support structures adding depth to the classroom experience.
Links of Interest
- Prestressed Concrete
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Structural Analysis
- Concrete materials related to prestressed concrete bridges, including high performance and ultra-high performance concrete (UHPC) applications
- van de Lindt, J.W., T.M. Ahlborn, and S. Kethu, “Alternate Approach to Approximate Deteriorated Steel Beam End Capacity,” Transportation Research Record No. 1928, Journal of the Transportation Research Board – Design of Structures, National Academy Press, Washington D.C., p. 92-102 (December 2005).
- Wasserman, E., Ahlborn, T. M., et al (PCI Bridges Repair Committee), “A Manual for the Evaluation and Repair of Precast, Prestressed Concrete Bridge Products, including Imperfections or Damage Occurring During Production, Handling, Transportation and Erection” MNL-37-06 (Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute, Chicago, IL, 2006), 66 pp
- van de Lindt, J.W. and T. M. Ahlborn, “Relative Fatigue/Cost Assessment of Steel Overhead Sign Support Structures Subjected to Wind Load,” Wind and Structures, Vol 8, No 5, September 2005, p.343-356.
- C. G. Gilbertson and T. M. Ahlborn, “A Probabilistic Comparison of Prestress Loss Methods in Prestressed Concrete Beams, PCI JOURNAL, Journal of the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute, Vol. 49, No. 5, p. 52-69, (Sept-Oct. 2004).
- Ahlborn, T.M., van de Lindt, J.W., Uzcategui, A.J. and Lewis, M.E., “Cost and Performance Comparison of the Nation’s Overhead Sign Support Structures,” Transportation Research Record 1892, JOURNAL of the Transportation Research Board, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., p.14-23, 2004, (also presented January 2004 and available on CD-ROM Paper #04-2574).
- Ahlborn, T.M. and DenHartigh, T.C., “A Comparative Bond Study of Stainless and High-Chromium Reinforcing Bars in Concrete,” Transportation Research Record 1845, JOURNAL of the Transportation Research Board, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 2003, pp. 88-95 (also presented January 15, 2003 and CD-ROM Paper #03-3984).
- Miller, R.A., Ahlborn, T.M., and others, PCI High Performance Concrete Committee Report, “High Performance Concrete Showcase Bridges,” PCI JOURNAL, V. 46, No. 6, pp. 41-55, Nov-Dec. 2001.