How to Plan Your Gift
Gift planning is the process of carefully selecting the best method and the best asset for making a gift to Michigan Tech. A planned gift enables you to assist the University in its mission of preparing students to create the future, while also reducing the burden of income, capital gains, and/or estate taxes. We have additional pages to help you decide your goals and leverage your gifts. You can also read the Foresight Newsletter to increase your understanding of how your support impacts students and University programs.
The Michigan Tech Fund offers a wide range of giving options to allow you to take maximum advantage of federal tax laws to accomplish your financial and charitable goals.
How Do I Start?
Selecting the best gift plan depends on your personal financial situation, your assets, and your financial goals. These three steps will get you started.
Changing property values, investment values, and life stages require planning for the future, and changing tax laws require up-to-date information. Visit the Michigan Tech GiftLegacy website for up-to-date planning information, including:
- Donor Stories—Read stories of donors who received tax benefits by making charitable gifts. Learn how a gift to Michigan Tech can provide you with more income, a tax deduction, and a lasting legacy.
- Personal Planner—Read weekly articles to help you plan your estate. Learn about the variety of estate planning options that can benefit both you and Michigan Tech.
- Create Your Own Plan—View a web presentation that shows the income and tax benefits of a gift plan using your assets. Compare the benefits of setting up a gift annuity, unitrust, or part gift and part sale.
- Finance News—Learn about the impact of the market on your finances. Get the latest news on stocks, bonds, and interest rates. View current market quotes for DOW, NASDAQ, and S&P 500.
- Monthly eNewsletter—Sign up to receive our monthly GiftLegacy eNewsletter.
- Find a plan to fit your needs and goals.
Deciding your goals may be the easiest way to begin the gift planning process. Look at nine goals common to donors and suggested options to accomplish them.
- Visit our GiftLegacy website.
Changing circumstances require planning for the future, and good planning requires good information. GiftLegacy's resources will assist you in creating a plan that is right for you. The website is interactive and updated weekly.
- Contact us (906-487-3325).
We will be happy to work with you and your professional advisors to discover a gift plan that leads to deep rewards for you as well as future generations of Michigan Tech students and faculty.