Professor of Technology and Innovation Management, Emeritus,
School of Business and Economics
- PhD in Economics/Management
- PhD in Electronics
Before joining the Michigan Tech faculty in 1985, K. Pelc worked for electric power industry for about 15 years as an engineer, project leader and R&D manager in the field of measuring and data processing systems. Later he joined the faculty of Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland, and lectured on production and R&D management. He has served as international consultant in that domain. He was a visiting professor at the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, and at the Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey. He also conducted research on technology innovation in Japanese industry and was a visiting scholar at the Japan Center for Michigan Universities, Hikone, Japan. Dr. Pelc presented invited lectures on management of technology at several universities in the U. S., Europe, Japan and China. After retirement from Michigan Tech in 2005, Pelc continues to be active in teaching, research, and consulting. In 2006, he was appointed Fulbright Professor of technology management at the University of Maribor, Slovenia. He is married to Ryszarda Lida Pelc, writer and poet. They have one son living with his family in France.
Karol Pelc began teaching at Michigan Tech over 20 years ago. During his time at Tech, he co-founded and directed the Center for Technological Innovation, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship (CenTILE) and he initiated the founding of the Entrepreneurs Club at Michigan Tech.
As a professor emeritus, Dr. Pelc continues to advance technological innovation across the globe. Dr. Pelc is currently active in editorial work as a guest editor for International Journal of Knowledge Management and he has continued teaching graduate courses at Michigan Tech during the summer months. In spring 2010, Dr. Pelc served as a visiting scholar at Japan Center for Michigan Universities in Hikone, Japan, where he conducted research on manufacturing management practices and lectured on "Japanese Innovation Management".
- Management of technology and innovation
- Global innovation networks
- Product development management
- Economics of technological innovation
- Knowledge generating networks
- Technology strategy
- R&D management
- Global technology and innovation management
- Methods of interdisciplinary knowledge mapping
- Pelc, K. I. (2014) Adoption process and complexity of innovation in social networking, AIEMS Proceedings 2014 (forthcoming), 20th Annual International Conference on Industry, Engineering, and Management Systems, Cocoa Beach, March 23-26, 2014, pp.23.
- Pelc, K. I. (2013) Global dynamics of innovation in social networking, ASBBS Proceedings 2013, 20th Annual Conference of the American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences, Las Vegas Feb. 21 -24, 2013, v. 20, p. 340 -350. Read More
- Kasprzak, W., Pelc, K. I. (2013) Prospects for the Development of Polkowice, book in Polish: Perspektywy Rozwojowe Polkowic, DWSPiT Press, Polkowice, Poland, ISBN 978-83-61234-37-1, pp. 185 (includes summary in English).
- Pelc, K. I. (2012) Global consolidation of research and innovation networks, Chapter in: L. W. Zacher (ed.), Science – Technology – Society, book in Polish: Nauka – Technika – Spoleczenstwo, Poltext, Warsaw, Poland, p. 257-269, ISBN 978-83-7561-163-2.
- Pelc, K. I. (2012) Multidimensional model of technology based on Adam Smith’s theory, Chapter in: L. W. Zacher (ed.), Science –Technology – Society, book in Polish: Nauka - Technika – Spoleczenstwo, Poltext, Warsaw, Poland, p. 303-316, ISBN 978-83-7561-163-2.
- Kasprzak, W. A., Pelc, K. I. (2012) Innovation: Technology and Development Strategies, book in Polish: Innowacje: Strategie Techniczne i Rozwojowe, Wroclaw University of Technology Press, Wroclaw, Poland, ISBN 978-83-7493-670-5, pp.291 (includes summary and list of contents in English).
- Pelc, K. I. (2012) A model of global network environment for innovation, 2012 Global Business & International Management Conference Proceedings, Orlando, FL, p. 118 – 129, ISSN 2155-1219.
- Pelc, K. I. (2011) Global brain: A dual metaphor, Transformations, Special Issue 2010/ 2011, 3- 4 (66-67), p. 32 – 49. ISSN 1230-0292.
- Pelc, K. I. (2011), Multiple perspectives on global innovation networks, in: Hosni, Y. (ed.), Technology and the Global Challenges: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Management of Technology, IAMOT 2011, Miami Beach, FL, April 2011, CD format, ISBN: 0-9815817, pp.17.
- Pelc, K. I., Kurokawa, S. and Senoo, D., (2009) An interface between strategic management and knowledge management, Preface to the Special Issue, International Journal of Knowledge Management Studies, 3, 1 & 2, 2009, p.1 – 3.
- Pelc, K. I., (2008) Multiple perspectives on technology: A conceptual model based on Adam Smith's theory. In: M. Rzadkowolska and A. Gorynska (eds.) Toward the Future (title in Polish: Ku Przyszlosci), p. 411 – 426, Academic and Professional Publishers, Warsaw, Poland, ISBN 978-83-60807-93-4.
- Pelc, K. I. , (2008) The evolution of Japanese industrial system in the second half of 20th century, Transformations, Special Issue on Globalization-Technology–Information, 39 – 40, p. 104-116.
- Kasprzak, W. A., Pelc, K. I., (2008) Innovation and Technology Strategies, book in Polish : Strategie Innowacyjne i Techniczne, PALMApress, Wroclaw, Poland, ISBN 83-7076-128-3. (Includes summary and list of contents in English ).
- Kasprzak, W., Kozlowska, K., Pelc, K., (2008) Scientific and Economic Profile of Lower Silesia: Strategic and Forecasting Perspectives, book in Polish: Specjalizacja Naukowa i Gospodarcza Dolnego Slaska w Swietle Prognoz I Strategii Rozwojowych, Lower Silesia Regional Council, Wroclaw, Poland, ISBN 978-83-6-425-18.
- Pelc, K. I., (2007) A Schumpeterian perspective on technology networks. In: E. G. Carayannis and C. Ziemnowicz (eds.) Re-discovering Schumpeter, Chapter 14, 229 – 242, Palgrave Macmillan Publishers Ltd., Houndsmills Basingstoke, U. K..