- G021 Academic Offices Building
Assistant Professor of Taxation, School of Business and Economics
- JD – Michigan State University (Detroit College of Law)
- Taxation and Estate Planning Concentration
Joel Tuoriniemi joined the SBE as a lecturer in 2002 and assumed his current position as Assistant Professor of Taxation in Fall 2008. Joel has won the University’s Distinguished Teaching Award, the SBE’s Teaching Award, and has also been inducted into the University’s Academy of Teaching Excellence. He is a member of the American Taxation Association and Taxation Section of the Michigan Bar Association. A native of the Keweenaw, Joel and his wife Julianne (MTU ’95) have three children, Wyatt, Hanna, and Hunter. He enjoys spending time with his family, golfing, and hockey.
- Legal Environment of Business
- Equitable Relief in Tax Disputes
- SFAS 142 Goodwill Impairments
- Reasonableness Determinations in Contract Interpretation
- Inequality of Bargaining Power
- Goltz, S. M., Tuoriniemi, J. C., Roger, R. (2009). "University Women's Experiences in Bringing Second Generation Sex Discrimination Claims: Further Support for Adoption of a Structural Approach," (18, 2, pp. 145-194) . Austin, Texas: Texas Journal of Women and the Law.
- Tuoriniemi, J. C., Reinsch, R. W. "Return to Camelot - A Statutory Model for Judicial Examinations of Employment Agreements with Shortened Period of Limitation Clauses," (Spring, 2009). Ada Ohio: Ohio Northern University Law Review.
- Tuoriniemi, J. C. (2008). To "Dismiss at Pleasure": An Examination of Implied Preemption of State-Law Based Discrimination Claims Under Federal Banking Statutes, (ed., vol. 41, pp. 133-145). Business Law Review.
- Tuoriniemi, J. C., Peters, S. J., Baker, J. R. (2007). Tuoriniemi, J. C. (Ed.), Cross Disciplinary Education and Communication: Designing an Intellectual Property Law Course for Undergraduates to Foster a Culture of Innovation, (2007th ed., vol. Proceedings of the 11th Annual Meeting, pp. 137-147). Tampa, FL: National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance.