- G007 Academic Offices Building
Assistant Professor in Management Information Systems, School of Business and Economics
- PhD, Information Sciences & Technology, Pennsylvania State University
- MS, Ceramic Science and Engineering, Alfred University
- BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Central South University
Dr. Huang joined the School of Business and Economics in 2010. Before coming to Michigan Tech, she taught at Purdue University Calumet. Dr. Huang’s research and teaching interests include globally distributed IS development, IT offshore outsourcing, project management, virtual teams, and global IT workforce development. She has published more than 30 journal articles, book chapters, and conference papers in these areas. She and her coauthors won the IGI 2009 Excellence in Information Technology Research Journal Award. Dr. Huang is also active in professional services and has served as the chair, editor, and reviewer for a variety of conferences and journals.
Diversity is a hot-button issue in many industries—in the information technology sector, both women and minorities are underrepresented in the professional workforce. Dr. Huang investigates ways to correct the balance by determining how to promote and foster diversity.
On the global scale, Dr. Huang focuses on both big-picture and detail-oriented aspects of business. She researches global IT sectors, examining the connections between the development of IT sectors and the sustainability of an information economy. Concurrently, she is exploring how to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of work collaborations among global virtual teams.
- Information Systems and Organizations
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Project Management
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Information Technology, Globalization, and Offshore Outsourcing
- Globally Distributed Information Systems Development
- Global IT Offshore Outsourcing
- Virtual Teams and Organizations
- Knowledge Management
- IS/IT Education and Workforce Diversity in the Global Information Economy
- Ocker, R., Huang, H., Benbunan-Fich, R., Hiltz, S. R. (2011). "Leadership Dynamics in Partially Distributed Teams: An Exploratory Study of the Effects of Configuration and Distance," Group Decision and Negotiation (vol. 20, # 3, pp. 273-292) . Springer.
- Techatassanasoontorn, A., Huang, H., Juntiwasarakij, S., and Trauth, E. M. (2011). "Analyzing ICT and Development: Thailand’s Path to the Information Economy," Journal of Global Information Management.
- Huang, H. and Trauth, E. M. (2010). Identity and Cross-cultural Management in Globally Distributed Information Technology Work. International Conference on Information Systems, St. Louis, December 13-15, 2010.
- Trauth, E. M., Quesenberry, J., and Huang, H. (2009). Retaining Women in the American IT Workforce: The Influence of Organizational Factors. European Journal of Information Systems, 18(5): 498-521.
- Trauth, E. M., Quesenberry, J., and Huang, H. (2008). A Multicultural Analysis of Factors Influencing Career Choice for Women in the Information Technology Workforce. Journal of Global Information Management, 16(4): 1-23. (IGI 2009 Excellence in Information Technology Research Journal Award.)
- Huang, H. and Trauth, E. M. (2008). Cultural Influences on Temporal Separation and Coordination in Globally Distributed Software Development. International Conference on Information Systems, Paris, December 14-17, 2008, Paper 134.