Associate Professor of Management, School of Business and Economics
Charles C. and John G. Gates Distinguished Professor in Entrepreneurship
- BS in Computer Science, University of Manitoba
- MBA in General Management, University of Manitoba
- PhD in Strategic Management, University of Manitoba
Dr. Laplume is interested in how entrepreneurs and organizations gain competitive advantage, the process and outcomes of innovation and technological change, as well as stakeholder management and environmental sustainability. His dissertation research examined how organizations balance exploration and exploitation over time in varying environments to achieve competitive advantage through innovation. Prior to joining Michigan Tech, he worked as a business and information technology consultant for several years, helping clients to plan, build, select, buy, and implement enterprise systems.
Dr. Laplume's uses quantitative, qualitative, and simulation methods in his research. As an example of his qualitative research, he recently studied an organization that operated in a highly competitive industry, looking to identify the underlying factors that enabled them to be innovative successfully. He spent three months on site, attending high-level meetings, interviewing managers and analyzing company data. The project helped Laplume and his co-investigators develop new theory about how firms balance exploration and exploitation without falling into failure traps.
- Strategic Management
- Management of Technology and Innovation
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Strategic Ambidexterity
- Technological Evolution
- Stakeholder Theory
- Laplume, A. O., Oliveira, E., Dass, P., and Thakur, R. (2015) "The organizational advantage in early inventing and patenting: Empirical evidence from interference proceedings", forthcoming in Technovation.
- Castro Oliveira, E. M. R., Laplume, A. O., Pathak, S. "What motivates entrepreneurial entry under economic inequality? The role of human and financial capital." in Human Relations. Forthcoming.
- Laplume, A. O., Pathak, S., Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (2014) "The politics of intellectual property rights regimes: An empirical study of new technology use in entrepreneurship Technovation, 34(12): 807-816.
- Laplume, A.O., Dass, P. (2014). "Outstreaming for ambidexterity: Evolving a firm's core business from components to systems by serving internal and external customers", forthcoming in Long Range Planning.
- Laplume, A. O., Srivastava, M. (2014). "Firm newness, product novelty and aesthetic failure" Management Decision, 52(10): 1952-1967.
- Muralidharan, E., Bapuji, H., Laplume, (2014). A. O. "Influence of institutional profile on time to recall" forthcoming in Management Research Review.
- Oliveira, E., Laplume, A., and Pathak, S. (2015) "Economic Inequality as a moderator of the relationship between human and financial capital, and entrepreneurship", forthcoming in Human Relations.
- Pathak, S., Castro Oliveira, E., Laplume, A.O. (2013). "Influence of intellectual property, foreign investment, and technological adoption on technology entrepreneurship" Journal of Business Research, 66(10): 2090-2101.
- Srivastava, M. K., Laplume, A. O. (2014). "Matching technology strategy with knowledge structure: Implications on firm’s Tobin’s q in the semiconductor industry" Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 33: 93-112.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (2014). "Opportunity Recognition, Intellectual Property Rights, Barriers to Technological Adoption and Technology Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: A Multi-Level Analysis" in International Journal of Economics and Business Research (vol. 7, 2 #, pp. 130-158) , Inderscience Enterprises Ltd.. Read More
- Walker, K., Laplume, A.O. (2014). "Sustainability fellowships: The potential for collective stakeholder influence" European Business Review, 26(2): 149-168.
- Muralidharan, E., Laplume, A. O. (2014). "The Relationship between Type of Organization, Learning, and Product Failures" in Current Topics in Management (vol. 17, 2014 #, pp. 67-86).
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. "Informal Institutions and Technology Use by Entrepreneurs: An Empirical Study Across 18 Emerging Markets" in International Journal of Emerging Markets, Emerald. Read More
- Fazel, H., Muralidharan, E., Laplume, A. O. "Technological innovation and adopter self-construal" in International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management.
- Fazel, H., Laplume, A. O., Muralidharan, E. (2014). "The impact of self-enhancing and group-enhancing product innovations on users’ independent and interdependent self-construal: An experimental study" in Jordan Journal of Business Administration (vol. 10, 1 #, pp. 129-145).
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (2013). "A Multi-level Empirical Study of Ethnic Diversity and Shadow Economy as Moderators of Opportunity Recognition and Entrepreneurial Entry in Transition Economies" in Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, Journal of Balkan and Near Estern Studies. Read More
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., Castro Oliveira, E. M. R. (2012). "Inward foreign direct investment: Does it enable or constrain domestic technology entrepreneurship" in Columbia FDI Perspectives (vol. 84, December 3rd #,) , The Vale Columbia Center on Sustainable International Investment. Read More
- Laplume, A.O., Sonpar, K., Litz, R.A. (2008). "Stakeholder theory: A longitudinal review of a theory that moves us." Journal of Management, 32(6): 1152-1189.