Ordinance 2—Computer Licensing
Effective Date: 08/03/00
AN ORDINANCE TO REGULATE AND LICENSE PERSONS HAVING ACCESS
TO MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY'S COMPUTER CENTER AND TO
PROVIDE FOR AN EXAMINATION INTO THEIR QUALIFICATIONS AND TO REQUIRE
THE OBTAINING OF A LICENSE BY ALL SUCH PERSONS.
WHEREAS, Article VIII, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 provides that the Board of Trustees of Michigan Technological University shall be a body corporate and vests therein the general supervision of said University; and
WHEREAS, Section 2 of Public Act 70 of 1885 as amended (Michigan Statutes Annotated, Section 15.1312), provides that the government of the University is vested in said Board of Trustees; and
WHEREAS, Section 13 of Public Act 70 of 1885 as amended (Michigan Statutes Annotated, Section 15.1312), provides that the Board of Trustees shall have power to enact ordinances; and
WHEREAS, Section 1 of Public Act 80 of 1905 as amended (Michigan Statutes Annotated, Section 4.201), provides that the said Board of Trustees shall have authority to make and prescribe rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of buildings and property dedicated and appropriated to public use, over which said Board of Trustees has jurisdiction or power of control and conduct of those coming upon the property thereof, which may be necessary for the maintenance of good order and the protection of said state property, and further provides that said Board of Trustees shall have authority to enforce such rules and regulations; and
WHEREAS, Michigan Technological University has ownership, possession and control of an extensive computer center and computer facilities, the value of which could be destroyed or seriously reduced by the access to or tampering with such facilities by unauthorized persons; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to the above authority and in discharge of the responsibility imposed thereby, the Board of Trustees of Michigan Technological University deems it necessary to adopt an ordinance for the control, preservation, protection and security of such University property and for the control of persons coming upon said property and having access thereto.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Board of Trustees of Michigan Technological University hereby ordains as follows:
That no person shall be hired or employed by Michigan Technological University in any of the following positions, or in any position or capacity which would provide such employee unsupervised access to Michigan Technological University's Computer Center; nor shall any person be permitted unsupervised access to such computer facilities unless such person shall first obtain a computer access license:
- Computer Operations Personnel (operators)
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer Program Personnel (programmers)
- Computer Management Personnel (managers)
- Computer Structure Maintenance Personnel
- Computer Maintenance Personnel
- Such license shall be obtained from the office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs upon the applicant's completion and execution of a computer access license application in the form as established by said Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs and upon the satisfaction of the following conditions by the applicant:
- The applicant's proof, to the satisfaction of the Director of Public Safety and the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, or designate, of the following:
- That the license applicant is qualified by training or experience for the position which the applicant seeks.
- That the license applicant is of good character and trustworthy.
- That the license applicant has not been arrested for or convicted of any criminal or quasi-criminal offense which would indicate the applicant's unsuitability to hold a position of trust.
- That the license applicant is of such moral, mental and physical character as to minimize the likelihood of such applicant's malicious or unauthorized tampering with or damaging of University computers, computer equipment or computer accessories.
|Adopted:||08/03/00||Changed Executive Vice President and Provost title to Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs|