John J. Durocher
Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology
- PhD, Biological Sciences-Exercise Physiology
- MS, Exercise Science
- BS, Biological Sciences
- AAS, Forest Technology
- CSCS, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- ACSM-HFS, Certified Health Fitness Specialist
John has done extensive work in the fields of applied human physiology and exercise physiology. Much of his research has involved the study of how the sympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system regulates arterial blood pressure at rest and during a variety of stressors. John’s other passion relates to the specificity of exercise testing and prescription, especially with hockey players.
Plans for future research in the Clinical and Applied Human Physiology Laboratory include developing preventative lifestyle strategies for those with, or at risk for, metabolic syndrome. These strategies may include interventions such as: specific exercise programs, dietary modification, and improving the quality and / or quantity of sleep. The laboratory will also continue with sport-specific exercise assessment and prescription for hockey players and endurance athletes.
- Clinical and Applied Human Physiology
- Autonomic Regulation of Arterial Blood Pressure
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Specificity of Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Yang H, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Carter JR. Total Sleep Deprivation Alters Cardiovascular Reactivity to Acute Stressors in Humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, (In Press, JAPPL-00561-2012R1, July 19, 2012).
- Carter JR, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Yang H. Sympathetic Neural Responses to 24-hour Sleep Deprivation in Humans: Sex Differences. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 302: H1991-1997, 2012.
- Durocher JJ, Lufkin KJ, King ME and Carter JR. Social technology restriction alters state-anxiety but not autonomic activity in humans. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 301(6): R1773-1778, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Klein JC and Carter JR. Attenuation of sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity during the onset of acute mental stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 300(5): H1788-93, 2011.
- Carter JR, Stream SF, Durocher JJ, and Larson RA. Influence of acute alcohol ingestion on sympathetic neural responses to orthostatic stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism, 300: E771-E778, 2011.
- Schwartz CE, Durocher JJ, and Carter JR. Neurovascular responses to mental stress in prehypertensive humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, 110: 76-82, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Guisfredi AJ, Leetun DT, and Carter JR. Comparison of on-ice and off-ice graded exercise testing in collegiate hockey players. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 35(1): 35-39, 2010.
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II