- SDC 231/ Dow 407
Assistant Professor, Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences
- PhD, Kagawa University Medical School, Japan
- MS, Medical School of Southeast University, China
- MD, Nantong University College of Medicine, China
Links of Interest
- Cardiovascular physiology, neurophysiology and exercise science.
- Neural mechanisms of cardiovascular diseases and metabolic disorders.
- Neural mechanisms of exercise training in regulating autonomic and cardiovascular function.
- Gui L, Bao Z,Jia Y, Qin X, Cheng ZX, Zhu J, Chen QH. Ventricular tachyarrhythmias in rats with acute myocardial infarction involves activation of small-conductance Ca2+-activated K+channels. Am J Physiol Heart and Circ Physiol. 2013;304(1):H118-30
- Gui L, LaGrange LP, Larson RA, Gu M, Zhu J, Chen QH. Role of small conductance calcium-activated potassium channels expressed in hypothalamic PVN in regulating sympathetic nerve activity and arterial blood pressure. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012;303(3):R301-310.
- Lin M, Hatcher JT, Chen QH, Wurster RD, Harden WS, Li L and Cheng ZX: Maternal Diabetes Increases Large Conductance Ca2+-Activated K+ (BK) Outward Currents Which Alter Action Potential (AP) Properties But Do Not Contribute to Attenuated Excitability of Parasympathetic Cardiac Motoneurons (PCMNs) In the Nucleus Ambiguus (NA) of Neonatal Mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2011; 300:R1070-1078.
- Lin M, Hatcher JT, Chen QH, Wurster RD, Harden WS and Cheng ZX: Small Conductance Ca2+- Activated K+ Channels Regulate Firing Properties and Excitability in Parasympathetic Cardiac Motoneurons in the Nucleus Ambiguus. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010, 299(6):C1285-1298.
- Chen QH*, Andrade MA Calderon AS and Toney GM: Hypertension induced by angiotensin II and a high salt diet involves reduced SK current and increased excitability of RVLM projecting PVN neurons. J Neurophysiology. 2010, 104 (5):2329-2337. (* corresponding author)
- Lin M, Chen QH, Wurster RD, Hatcher JT, Liu YQ, Li LH, Harden WS, and Cheng ZX: Maternal Diabetes Increases Activity of Small Conductance Ca2+-activated K+ (SK) Channels Which Alters Action Potential Properties and Excitability of Cardiac Motoneurons in the Nucleus Ambiguus. J Neurophysiol. 2010; 104(4):2125-2138.
- Chen QH and Toney GM: In vivo discharge properties of hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus neurons with axonal projections to the rostral ventrolateral medulla. J. Neurophysiology 2010; 103(1):4-15.
- Chen QH* and Toney GM: Excitability of paraventricular nucleus neurons that project to the rostral ventrolateral medulla is regulated by small-conductance Ca2+ -activated K+ channels. J. Physiology, 2009; 587:4235-4247. (* corresponding author)
- Brenner R*, Chen QH*, Vilaythong A, Toney GM, Noebels JL, Aldrich RW: BK channel beta4 subunit reduces dentate gyrus excitability and protects against temporal lobe seisures. Nature Neurosci. 2005 Dec; 8(12):1752-9. (* co-first authors) (This paper has been evaluated by the Faculty of 1000 Biology Evaluation System; Exceptional). (http://f1000biology.com/article/id/1028946/evaluation).
- AHA (SDG, National Center)
- Michigan Technological University Research Excellence Fund (REF)
- Qing-Hui Chen, Le Gui, Andrew Chapp, Robert A Larson, Michael Huber, Jianhua Zhu. Inhibition of Endoplasmic Reticulum Function in Pre-sympathetic PVN Neurons by Thapsigargin Increased Neuronal Excitability and Sympathetic Nerve Activity. 2013 HBPR Scientific Sessions (New Orleans Marriott, New Orleans, LA, USA. Sep. 11-24, 2013).
- Qing-Hui Chen. Invited talk entitled “SK channels in the autonomic neurons and salt-sensitive hypertension”. Neural Mechanisms in Cardiovascular Regulation. 2013 FASEB Science Research Conferences (Salishan Spa & Golf Resort Gleneden Beach, OR, USA July 14-19, 2013).
- Robert A Larson, Andrew D Chapp, Alexander P. Keim, Mingjun Gu and Qing-Hui Chen. Sympathoexcitation Induced by SK Channel Blockade in PVN Requires Activation of NMDA Receptors. Experiment Biology 2013 (Boston, MA, USA. April 20-24, 2013).
- Le Gui, Andrew D Chapp, Robert A Larson, Mingjun Gu, Jianhua Zhu and Qing-Hui Chen. Sympathoexcitation and Pressor Response Induced by Central Amygdala-injected Ethanol Requires Activation of Local NMDA Receptors. Experiment Biology 2013 (Boston, MA, USA. April 20-24, 2013).
- Le Gui, Lila P LaGrange, Jianhua Zhu, Qing-Hui Chen. Long-term high salt intake involves reduced small conductance Ca2+-activated K+ (SK) current in pre-sympathetic PVN neurons and increased sympathetic nerve activity. 2012 HBPR Scientific Sessions (Washington, DC, USA. Sep. 19-22, 2012).
- Qing-Hui Chen, Le Gui, Robert A Larson, Mingjun Gu, Jianhua Zhu. Sympathoexcitation induced by ethanol in the central amygdala involves local activation of NMDA receptors in anesthetized rats. Autonomic Regulation of Cardiovascular Function in Health and Disease. 2012 APS Conference (Omaha, Nebraska, USA. July 7-10, 2012)
- Le Gui, Xiaotong Qin, Min Pan, Zixi Cheng, Jianhua Zhu, Qing-Hui Chen. Inhibition of Small-Conductance Ca2+-activated K+ Channels Protects against Ventricular Fibrillation in Rats with Acute Myocardial Infarction. Experiment Biology 2012 (San Diego, USA. April 21-25, 2012).
- Le Gui, Mingjun Gu, Lila P LaGrange, Jianhua Zhu, Qing-Hui Chen. Role of small conductance calcium-activated potassium channels expressed in hypothalamic PVN neurons in regulating sympathetic nerve activity (SNA) in rats. Experiment Biology 2012 (San Diego, USA. April 21-25, 2012).
- 2011 Spring: [EH5350] - Advanced Exercise Integrative Physiology
- 2011 Fall: [BL4380] - Cardiopulmonary Physiology
- 2012 Spring: [EH5350] - Neuroendocrine Physiology
- 2012 Summer: [BL4995] – Research in Biochemistry
- 2013 Spring: [BH4990] – Cardiac Electrophysiology and ECG Interpretation