Partnering with Auxiliary Services to host a First Friday University Social is a great way to showcase your school or department and provide a casual setting for informal discussion and socializing among university faculty, staff, graduate students, and retirees. Requests to sponsor a social are granted on a first come, first served basis. Available dates are quickly filled, so reserve your date early. Contact Auxiliary Services at 7-2543 to reserve a date or to find out more.
Sponsoring schools and departments are encouraged to be creative in personalizing their events. Past socials have included activities such as themes, displays, presentations, tours, trivia contests, or prize drawings.
For each First Friday Social, Auxiliary Services will provide the following.
- Tech Today announcement and reminders highlighting your school or department.
- Addition of First Friday Social to online MTU events calendar.
- If you opt not to provide a venue for the event, a space reservation at a campus location with a liquor license (Memorial Union, Rozsa Center, Wadsworth Hall, SDC, Portage Lake Golf Course), including a cash bar and bar staffing.
- Complimentary soft drinks.
- Complimentary snacks (party mix, peanuts, and M&Ms) OR a $25 credit toward your department's catering order.
- First Friday Socials information and schedule on Auxiliary Services website pages (mtu.edu/aux/fridays/about).
The sponsoring school or department takes care of the following details.
- If you are providing the venue, the space must accommodate 50+ people. Non-licensed locations may serve only complimentary beer and wine, and permission of the President’s office is required. Please arrange alcohol and bar service through MTU Catering Services (mtu.edu/dining/catering, 487-2277, firstname.lastname@example.org). Beer and wine must be purchased by your school or department through Jim’s Food Mart, Houghton (906-482-4080). Bar staffing is provided by Auxiliary Services.
- If your event is outside, please arrange for or rent a tent (Superior Events, 906-482-8080, renttheevent.com), and arrange an alternate indoor location in case of inclement weather.
- If desired, enhance your social by ordering food through Michigan Tech Catering Services (mtu.edu/dining/catering, 7-2277, email@example.com); a $25 credit will be applied to your catering order.
- Order tables for your event from the SDC: https://webforms.aux.mtu.edu/webforms/sdc/equip_rental.cfm. Three tables are needed for the bar; additional tables are needed if food catering is arranged.
- Determine a theme for your social, and prepare displays, posters, decorations, presentations, etc. that will showcase your school or department in a special way.
- Provide supplemental marketing for the event, such as posters, individual invitations, emails to your departmental lists, etc. Extra effort to encourage increased staff and faculty attendance is appreciated.