- BS Geological Engineering 1950
Phil served as a rifle squad leader in the 397th Infantry regiment, 100th Division, in France and Germany during WWII, before completing his B.S. in Geological Engineering from Michigan Tech in 1950. Following the completion of his degree, he spent a short time in the Gogebic Range for the Jones and Laughlin Ore company.
In 1951 he joined the US Atomic Energy Commission as an exploration geologist out of Grand Junction, CO where he was assigned to a field camp in the Lukachukai Mountains on the Navajo Reservation, and later to an office in Grants, NM. One year later he joined a uranium exploration group being formed by the Kerr-McGee Corporation and stayed with that company until retirement in 1986. From 1960 until retirement, except for two years in Australia, he served as either the chief geologist or chief research geologist of the Mineral Exploration Department.
From 2004 Induction to the Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences Academy