- BS Chemical Engineering 1936
Mr. Charles J. Nelson, a native of Atlantic Mine, Michigan, earned a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering in 1936. He was a member of Chi Epsilon. Mr. Nelson worked for the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. until 1940 when he and his brother, Evan, formed Nelson Paint Company. Mr. Nelson developed the paint ball using C02 gas for propulsion; a technology used by the forest and cattle industries and for competitive paintball games. Mr. Nelson remains a Technical Consultant to the Nelson Paint Company headquartered in Kingsford, Michigan.
In 1980 the U.S. Forest Service honored Mr. Nelson with a Forest Service 75th Anniversary Award for his significant contributions to forestry and conservation. The National Association of State Foresters in 1990 also honored him. Mr. Nelson has been involved in professional and community organizations throughout his career including ACS, the Society of American Foresters, the National Paint, Varnish, and Lacquer Association, Rotary and the Masonic Order. He was past Director of Commercial National Bank and Trust Co., Iron Mountain and was President of the Tri-County Engineers Club, the Iron Mountain Chamber of Commerce, the Chippewa Club and the Interstate Shrine Club. He is a charter member of the Michigan Tech Second Century Society, and is a member of the Presidents and Huskies Clubs.
From 1995 Induction to the Department of Chemical Engineering Academy