Huskies Helping Huskies
The Michigan Tech Alumni Association’s LinkedIn group provides an accessible, secure forum for alumni-student networking based on field of interest to:
- Share wisdom.
- Encourage professional growth.
- Provide access to professional role models.
Students and alumni both benefit.
Alumni and Friends
- Stay connected with the Michigan Tech community and network with fellow alumni.
- Share professional experience, industry knowledge, and career development strategies.
- Use leadership skills to motivate and inspire students.
- Gain new perspectives on your professional and personal experiences.
Tips for Sharing your Experiences
- It’s all about reaching out, so don’t be shy! We encourage you to respond to posts if students are looking for someone with experience similar to yours, or if you feel you have something to add.
- You may also be contacted through LinkedIn private messaging or email.
Looking for conversation starters? Here are some suggestions.
Students and New Grads
- Benefit from a firsthand glimpse into potential careers.
- Expand your view of where your degree can take you.
- Get unbiased advice on goals, career plans, and finding work after graduation.
- Receive support and encouragement from someone with a similar background.
Tips for Connecting with Alumni
- Spread the word. In the networking subgroup, post specific information about who you would like to network with and why. The more details the better, for example, “I am a third-year geological engineering student interested in an upstream petroleum career. Does anyone have experience in this field?” or “I am a fourth-year finance major who would love to live in the Portland area. What are my job options there?”)
- Do your research. Peruse alumni profiles in the group and personally select who you’d like to network with. Connect via a LinkedIn private message.
Looking for some conversation starters? Remember to keep it professional. Here are some suggestions.
Other Ways to Connect
There are alumni in your field ready to offer one-on-one advice. If you want to take advantage of this opportunity, let us know! Email email@example.com or call our office at 906-487-2400.