Michigan Tech Detachment 400 History
1946—President Grover C. Dillman announces the reestablishment of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program following World War II. The combined Air/Army ROTC program, technically classified as a civil engineering unit, is activated at Michigan Technological University (formerly Michigan College of Mining and Technology).
1947—Michigan Tech ROTC assumes space at the former clubhouse/gym. Today, the ROTC Building is the oldest structure on campus. Air ROTC Detachment 19 specializes in aircraft maintenance; all cadets are required to study engineering.
1950–51—Michigan Tech officially receives a full complement of Air Force personnel and establishes a separate Air Force ROTC department.
1952—Air Force ROTC Detachment 400, aka “Guardians of the North,” is formed.
1972—The first woman is admitted to the Michigan Tech ROTC program.
1979—1 in 5 female cadets nationally selected for the Air Force pilots' program come from Detachment 400. Only 16 female pilots are on active duty.
2000—The Aerospace Studies minor is offered to both AFROTC and non-AFROTC students.
Sept. 11, 2011—Detachment 400 holds an “In Honor and Memoriam” service to recognize the ten-year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.