Scholarly Articles & Books
The following list of scholarly resources explore unconscious gender bias in both academic and professional settings. Unless otherwise indicated, each article and book listed is available through Michigan Tech's J.R. Van Pelt and John and Ruann Opie Library, with valid ISO login. These resources complement and extend the diversity literacy training provided by Michgan Tech through the Diversity Literacy Workshop.
Scholarly Articles & Presentations
Diversity & Unconscious Bias
- Academic Careers and Gender Equity: Lessons Learned from MIT
Bailyn, L. (2003). Gender, Work, and Organizations, 10, 137-153.
- Reducing the Effects of Gender Stereotypes on Performance Evaluations
Bauer, C. C. & Baltes, B. B. (2002). Sex Roles, 9/10, 465-476.
- Implicit Discrimination.
Bertrand, M., Chugh, D., & Mullainathan, D. (2005). American Economic Review, 95 (2), 94-98.
- Gender and social influence
Carli, L.L. (2001). Journal of Social Issues, 57:4, 725-741.
- Claude Steele on Stereotype Threat
Steele, C. (2011, November 23). StanfordScope. Youtube. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvwvvbiwRkg
- How Can We Jump-Start the Strugle for Gender Inequality?
Cohen, P. N. (2013, November 23). Opinionator. The New York Times.
- What We Know about the Problem of the Century: Lessons from Social Science to the Law, and Back
Fiske, S. T. (2002). Current Directions in Psychological Science, 11 (4), 123-128.
- Proven Strategies for Addressing Unconscious Bias in the Workplace
Crider, G. (2008).CDO Insights, 2 (5).
- Implicit and Explicit Prejudice and Interracial Interaction
Dovidio, J. F., Kawakami, K., & Gaertner, S. L. (2002). Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 82, 62-68.
- Gender Differences in Impression Management in Organizations: A Qualitative Review
Guadagno, R.E., and Cialdini, R.B. (2007). Sex Roles, 56:7-8, 483-494.
- More Women in Science
J. Handelsman et al. (2005). Science, 309, 1190-1191.
- Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
Hill, C., Corbett, C. & St. Rose, A. (2010). AAUW publication.
- Punished for Poll on New Mother
Jaschik, S. Inside Higher Ed, May 11, 2011.
- Re-inscribing Gender Binaries: Deconstructing the Dominant Discourse around Women's Equality in Science, Engineering, and Technology
Phipps, A. (2007). The Sociological Review, 55 (4), 768-787.
- Gender and Impression Management: Playing the Promotion Game
Singh, V., Kumra, S., and Vinnicombe, S. (2002). Journal of Business Ethics, 37, 77-89.
- Test Yourself for Hidden Bias
Teaching Tolerance. Southern Poverty Law Center.
- Implicit Association Test
- In Bias Test, Shades of Grey
Tierney, J. (2008, November 17). New York Times online.
- Further Reading on Unconscious Bias
Tierney, J. (2008, November 17). TierneyLab blog. New York Times online.
- Exploring the Color of Glass: Letters of Recommendation for Female and Male Medical Faculty
Trix, F. & Psenka, C. (2003). Discourse & Society, 14 (2), 191-220.
- Gender Schemas Affect Women in Science, Says Expert
Weiss, C. (2009, October 20). PhysOrg.com.
- Cheaper to Keep Her
Williams, J.C. (2013). Center for Worklife Law, UC Hastings College of the Law. Powerpoint Presentation.
- Tools for Change | Boosting the Retention of Women in the STEM Pipeline
Center for Worklife Law, UC Hastings College of Law.
Climate & Culture
- AAUP: Women Professors Lag in Tenure, Salary
Banerji, S. (2006). Diverse: Issues in Higher Education 23 (20), 27.
- Women's Appeals for Equity at American Universities
Goltz, S. (2005). Human Relations, 58 (6), 763-797.
- Practising Gender at Work: Further Thoughts on Reflexivity
Martin, P. Y. (2006). Gender, Work and Organization, 13 (3), 254-76.
- A Modest Manifesto for Shattering the Glass Ceiling
Meyerson D. & Fletcher J. K. (2000, Jan/Feb). Harvard Business Review online.
- Realizing Critical Geographies of the University
Roberts, S. M. (2000). Antipode 32, 230-244.
- Using POWRE to ADVANCE: Institutional Barriers Identified by Women Scientists and Engineers
Rosser, S. V. (2004). NWSA journal, 16 (1), 50-78.
- Disciplined Bodies: Women's Embodied Identities at Work
Trethewey, A. (1999). Organization Studies 20, 423-450.
- Tutorials for Change: Gender Schemas and Science Careers
Valian, V. (n.d.). Powerpoint presentation.
- Why Colleges and Universities Need to Care About Gender Bias
Center for Worklife Law, UC Hastings College of the Law. Gender Bias Learning Project.
Recruitment & Retention
- The Search is On: Engendering Faculty Diversity Through More Effective Search and Recruitment
Bilimoria, D. & Buch, K. K. (July/August 2010). Change.
- What Search Committees See Across the Table
June, A. W. (2010, September 19). Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Interventions That Affect Gender Bias in Hiring: A Systematic Review
Isaac, C. , Lee, B., & Carnes, M. (2009). Vol. 89, No. 10, Academic Medicine.
- Is Engineering Hostile to Women? An Analysis of Data from the 1993 National Survey of College Graduates
Morgan, L. A. (2000). American Sociological Review, 65 (2), 316â€“321.
- Improving Campus Climate to Support Faculty Diversity and Retention: A Pilot Program for New Faculty
Piercy, F., Giddings, V., Allen, K., Dixon, B., Meszaros, P., & Joest, K. (2006). Innovative Higher Education, 30 (1), 53-66.
- Why Are We Still Worried about Women in Science?
Rosser, S. V. & Taylor, M.Z. (2009, May-June). Academe Online.
- Why Women Leave Science
Rosser, S. V. & Taylor, M. Z. (2009, January/February). Technology Review. Accessed 15 April, 2009.
- Faculty Research Productivity: Exploring the Role of Gender and Family-Related Factors
Sax, L. J., Hagedorn, L. S., Arrendondo, M., & Dierisi III, F.A. (2002). Research in Higher Education 43, 423-446.
- Leaving Careers in IT : Gender Differences in Retention
Stephan, P. E. and Levin, S. G. (2005). Journal of Technology Transfer, 30, 383â€“396.
Mentoring and Promotion
- The Glass Ceiling is Made of Concrete: The Barriers to Promotion and Tenure of Women in American Academia
Bonawitz, M. & Andel, N. (2009). Published by the Forum on Public Policy.
- Models of Mentoring in Communication
Buell, C. (2004). Communication Education, (53) 1, 56-73.
- Reconceptualizing Mentoring at Work: A Developmental Network Perspective
Higgins, M. C. & Kram, K.E. (2001). Academy of Management Review, 26 (2), 264-288.
- Why Men Still Get More Promotions Than Women
Ibarra, H., Carter, N. M. & Sila, C. (2010, September). Harvard Business Review. HBR online. Accessed 12 March, 2010.
- Communicating in Mentoring Relationships: A Theory for Enactment
Kalbfleisch, P. J. (2002). Communication Theory 12 (1) 63-69.
- An Interpersonal Model for Participation in Mentoring Relationships
Kalbfleisch, P. J. & Davies, A. B. (1993). Western Journal of Communication, 57 (4), 399-415.
- Leadership Talk: How Do Leaders 'do mentoring', and is Gender Relevant?
Holmes, J. (2005). Journal of Pragmatics, Nov2005, Vol. 37 Issue 11, p1779-1800, 22p
- Making the Right Moves; A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Burroughs Wellcome Fund (2006). University of Michigan Library online resources.
- Giving and Getting Career Advice: A Guide for Junior and Senior Faculty
Smock, P. J. & Stephenson, R. (2010). ADVANCE program, University of Michigan.
Work/Family Balance in Academia
- Statement of Principles on Family Responsibilities and Academic Work
AAUP (2001/2007). AAUP Policy Documents and Reports. 10th ed. Johns Hopkins UP, 219-226.
- It's Give and Take: Maternity Leave as a Conflict Management Process
Buzzanell, P. M. & Liu M. (2007). Human Relations 60 (3), 463-495.
- Balancing without a Net in Academia: Integrating Family and Worklives
Gatta, M. L. & Roos, P. A. (2004). Equal Opportunities International 23, 124-142.
- ‘I've Worked Very Hard and Slept Very Little’: Mothers on the Tenure Track in Academia
Fothergill, A. & Feltey, K. (2003). Journal for the Association of Research on Mothering 5 (2), 7-19.
- Negotiating Maternity Leave Expectations: Perceived Tensions Between Ethics of Justice and Care
Liu, M. & Buzzanell, P. M. (2003). Journal of Business Communication 41 (4), 323-349.
- Gender and the Work/Family Interface: Exploring Differences across the Family Life Course
Martinengo, G., Jacob, J. I., & Hill, E. J. (2010). Journal of Family Issues, 31 (10), 1-28.
- Do Babies Matter? The Effect of Family Formation on the Lifelong Careers of Academic Men and Women
Mason, M.A. & Goulden, M. (2002). Academe. 88, 21-27.
- Do Babies Matter (Part II)? Closing the Baby Gap
Mason, M.A., & Goulden, M. (2004). Journal of Family Issues, 90, 10-15.
Academic Culture & Careers
- Beyond Bias and Barriers: Fulfilling the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering
National Academies Press, 2007
- The Balancing Act: Gendered Perspectives on Faculty Roles and Work Lives
Susan J. Bracken, Jeanie K. Allen & Diane R. Dean, Eds. Stylus, 2006
- Challenges and Negotiations for Women in Higher Education
Sue Jackson Cotterrill & Gayle Letherby, Eds. Springer, 2007
- Women Leaders: Advancing Careers (via Amazon)
Genevieve Brown, Beverly Irby & Shirley Jackson, Eds. Information Age Publishing, 2012
- Disappearing Acts: Gender, Power, and Relational Practice at Work
Joyce K. Fletcher. MIT Press, 2001
- Careers In and Out of Organizations
Douglas T. Hall. Sage, 2002
- Helping faculty Find Work-life Balance:The Path Toward Family-friendly Institutions
Mike I. Philipsen, Timothy B. Bostic & Mary Ann Mason. Jossey-Bass, 2010
Diversity & Unconscious Bias
- Removing Barriers: Women in Academic Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
Jill M. Bystydzienski & Sharon R. Bird, eds. Indiana University Press, 2006.
- Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference
Cordelia Fine. W.W. Norton & Co., 2010.
- Faculty Diversity: Problems & Solutions
JoAnn Moody. Routledge Falmer, 2004.
- A National Analysis of Minorities in Science and Engineerng Faculties at Research Universities
Donna J. Nelson & Christopher N. Brammer. Diversity in Science Association, 2010.
- Rising Above the Gathering Storm: Energizing and Employing America for a Brighter Future
National Academy of Sciences. National Academy of Engineering and Institute of Medicine. National Academies Press, 2007.
- The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
Scott Page. Princeton University Press, 2008.
- Diversifying the Faculty: A Guidebook for Search Committees
Caroline Sotello & Viernes Turner. Association of American Colleges & Universities, 2002.
- Why So Slow? The Advancement of Women
Virginia Valian. MIT Press, 1999.
- The Handbook of Mentoring at Work: Theory, Research, and Practice
Belle Rose Ragins, and Kathy E. Kram, Eds. Sage, 2007
- Creating a Mentoring Culture: The Organization's Guide
Lois J. Zachary. Jossey-Bass, 2005