You’re smart and have a million different interests, and you want a degree that allows you to study a wide range of subjects. Crazy concept? Not to us. Michigan Tech’s liberal arts degree is truly interdisciplinary; you are encouraged to select classes that will prepare you for a dynamic career or further study. Study British, American, and world literatures as well as writing, rhetoric, linguistics, communication, fine arts, speech, modern languages, technology, and the visual and performing arts—it’s all up to you.
Pursue Your Passion
Customize your education even further by earning a certificate or adding minor to your degree.
- Certificates are available in
- Modern Language—French, German, or Spanish
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages
- We offer a secondary teaching certification in English.
Minor in French, Spanish, German, diversity studies, journalism, or any other minor available at Michigan Tech—there are over 50 to choose from!
What You Need to Know About Liberal Arts
- Our faculty are progressive and renowned, with diverse ideas and experience using cutting-edge technology.
- The courses you’ll take are open to all Michigan Tech students, so you’ll be surrounded by people with different interests and views.
- You’ll design an independent research project as a capstone experience. Studies conducted with faculty collaboration have included Upper Peninsula dialects, diversity in literature, Ojibwa language, and the “Impacts of Western Lifestyles on the Environment: a study incorporating art, meditation, culture, and place.”
- The Humanities Digital Media Zone (HDMZ) is your dedicated computer lab, language resource, and media production facility.
- Collaborate with other students on reading, writing, and oral presentations in our Multiliteracies Center.
- Our technology-rich approach to the liberal arts prepares our students with an edge when it comes time to get that first job.
You can also get involved in the CinOptic Communication and Media Enterprise—a student-run business team that designs products such as marketing materials, websites, and instructional documents for clients at Michigan Tech and around our community.