You love money. Hey, who doesn’t? But your love for money stems from seeing an initial investment grow through the smart use of financial strategies. Whether stocks or bonds, portfolios or cash flow, you can’t wait to monitor the results and reap the rewards.
As a finance major at Michigan Tech, you can try your hand at real-world investing through our Applied Portfolio Management Program. Here you’ll manage over $1.3 million in real money—our team has taken the top award at the RISE International Investment Challenge three times in nine years and has opened the New York Stock Exchange. That’s one crazy résumé builder.
What You Need to Know About This Program
- Get involved with the Applied Portfolio Management Program and have access to one of only two Bloomberg Terminals in the Upper Peninsula. You’ll monitor and analyze real-time financial market data movements, place trades, and get the latest news and price quotes.
- The School of Business and Economics is accredited by the AACSB—a distinction representing the top 15 percent of undergraduate business programs in the world.
- You’ll be prepared in business innovation, development, and entrepreneurship through our distinctive and innovative curriculum.
- Hone your leadership skills and flex your financial muscle by joining business student organizations, honor societies, or campus student organizations.
- Free help is at your fingertips: the Sam B. Tidwell Student Center provides tutoring support in accounting, economics, and statistics.
- Our recent graduates have enjoyed a 90 percent placement rate into their field of interest—with companies known regionally and internationally—or into top graduate schools across the country.
The Business Development Experience
The Business Development Experience will differentiate your education from other business schools in the United States—we’re the only school offering this unique opportunity. Students have the opportunity to complete at least one of the following on-campus business learning opportunities during their senior year:
- Develop, write, and present a business plan for a Michigan Tech College of Engineering Senior Design Project.
- Manage a Michigan Tech Enterprise; develop, write, and present a business development plan for the Enterprise.
- Manage a portfolio worth over $1.3 million through the Applied Portfolio Management Program as a member of a student investment team.
At Michigan Tech you’ll develop a résumé full of real-world experience—from working with an investment portfolio to participating in a study-abroad or co-op experience. But don’t take our word for it, see what some of our current students have to say about the School of Business and Economics.