As a kid, did you love nothing more than to build masterpieces with Legos and building blocks? If so, civil engineering just may be your crazy-smart calling. Michigan Tech’s program is perfect for students who want to learn how to plan, design, build, and manage the facilities that are essential to society. You’ll earn your degree by doing extensive hands-on lab work with state-of-the-art equipment—we feature some of the best in the nation.
Find your Passion with the Right Concentration
As a civil engineering major you can concentrate in:
- Environmental engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Structural engineering
- Water resources
What You Need to Know About This Program
- You can take part in research projects like performance characteristics of small-scale drinking water treatment systems and the behavior of rigid wood frame connections.
- The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department is a leader in materials research and international sustainability.
- You’ll succeed with help from the Civil and Environmental Student Success Center.
- You can get involved in the International Senior Design Program.
- Take part in the Railroad Engineering Program by studying abroad in Finland.
- Our Center for Structural Durability includes renovated space where you can conduct research on ultra high performance concrete (Michigan Tech is the only facility in the nation equipped to do this!).
- Michigan Tech's civil engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
As a civil engineer, you can also get involved in the Transportation Enterprise, a student-run business team that mimics a full-service pavement design, construction, and materials firm.