Audio Production and Technology
You’ve got crazy musical and theatrical talent and the smarts to know that it takes a technologically advanced program to prepare you to work in the entertainment industry. Luckily for you, technological is our middle name! Our audio production and technology program combines music and theatre production with course work in engineering technology, physics, and computer science. You’ll take classes focusing on acoustics, electro-acoustics, electronics, computer applications, and mechanical operations. If you plan to master the soundstage, control booth, or recording studio, Michigan Tech is the place for you.
What You Need to Know About This Program
- You'll start project work your first semester with recording live broadcasts and mixing multi-track recordings in a top notch ProTools HD equipped studio.
- You'll get to design sound systems, produce albums of local bands, and mix films for national clients.
- You can develop your skills with high-tech training at performance venues such as the beautiful Rozsa Center and traditional McArdle Theatre.
- There are a wide variety of opportunities in sound including live sound, recording, themed entertainment, and sound for picture.
- Students can tailor their education according to their interests through crafting their “concentration” in collaboration with their academic advisor.
Being an audio production and technology major means that you will graduate with significant technical skills, which can lead to fun jobs at companies like Universal Studios, the Ferrari Theme Park, and touring artists such as Madonna. Start your career by working as a sound system designer, studio technician, A/V systems integrator and installer, or pursuing graduate school opportunities.