WSU MedStart at Michigan Tech is a unique bachelor of science/medical degree program that is a collaboration between Michigan Tech and Wayne State University's School of Medicine. Two positions are awarded each year that guarantee incoming freshmen admission to Wayne State's School of Medicine as long as participation requirements for continuation are fulfilled.
This highly competitive program trains medical innovators and creative thinkers. WSU MedStart at Michigan Tech nurtures future leaders in medicine by treating WSU MedStart undergraduates as part of the medical community. The program emphasizes mentoring and research opportunities for each student and provides immediate contact with School of Medicine faculty and upperclassmen.
Minimum Participation Requirements
- Admission to Michigan Technological University
- High School GPA of 3.5/4.0 or higher
- One-page essay
- Letter of recommendation from your high school
- Letter of recommendation from a non-family member
- Submission of WSU MedStart at Michigan Tech application by February 1, 2013
Participation Requirements for Continuation
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.3/4.0 or higher
- Complete with a grade of B or better:
- One semester General Biology with lab (one year for biology majors)
- One year General Chemistry with lab
- One year Organic Chemistry with lab
- One year Physics with lab (one semester for biomedical engineering majors)
- One year English Composition
- One year Anatomy and Physiology (non-biology majors only)
- One semester Electrical Circuits and Instrumentation (biomedical engineering majors only)
- Participate in WSU MedStart at Michigan Tech Seminar
- Continue involvement in medical volunteer work
- Take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) following junior year. A minimum score of 8 on each section and a 27 overall is required. Submit your MCAT scores to Wayne State University.
- Apply to Wayne State University School of Medicine through American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and its designation of Special Programs
For questions or more information on WSU MedStart at Michigan Tech, contact Stacy Cotey, Department of Biological Sciences at 906-487-2546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.