Frequently Asked Questions

Dual Enrollment FAQ


How do I apply for dual enrollment?

First, talk with your guidance counselor to determine if this program is the right fit. You will need to complete our free online application as a domestic dual enrollment student. Learn more about the application process online.


What is the deadline to register for dual enrollment?

If you plan to dual enroll at Michigan Tech, make sure to have your application materials submitted to the Admissions Office by the dates listed below.

Entry TermDeadline
Spring 2016 December 1, 2015
Fall 2016 June 1, 2016
Spring 2017 December 1, 2016


Do I need to take a placement test?

If you are planning to take a math course through dual enrollment, you are required to take the ALEKS math placement assessment prior to registering for the course. You’ll need to apply for dual enrollment following the procedure listed on the application process page. Once your application is complete, we will email you details about taking the assessment.

There is a $25 one-time fee for the assessment that is paid directly to ALEKS. Students must receive a qualifying score in order to enroll in a math course through dual enrollment. Learn more about the ALEKS math placement assessment.


Is there a minimum high school GPA required?

Michigan Tech requires dual enrollment students to have a cumulative high school GPA of a 3.00 or higher.


Are there online courses available?

Yes, a limited number of courses are offered online through Michigan Tech. Visit online courses for a full listing by semester. Online courses are offered through a browser-based platform in a real-time setting. To succeed in an online course, you must attend class on the days and times offered on a regular basis. On-demand courses are not available at this time.


How much does dual enrollment cost?

Tuition for dual enrollment is based on a per-credit basis; additional required fees may be charged in addition to tuition. See our current rates online.


Are there any additional fees?

As a dual enrolled student, you will see the Experience Tech fee on your bill. This $90 fee gives students unlimited access to many things that make Michigan Tech unique—our ski hill, golf course, and on-campus performances, and more. If you are taking online courses and do not live in the immediate area, you will not be charged the Experience Tech fee.

Additional fees to consider include books and supplies, course and lab fees, parking, and transportation costs.


Is financial aid available for dual enrollment?

Dual enrolled students are not eligible for financial aid. High school students who are Michigan residents planning to take an online math course for dual enrollment may qualify for a partial scholarship. Contact the financial aid office for details.


How do I register for courses?

Once your application is complete, we will schedule your course(s) for you. A copy of your schedule and your student bill will be mailed to you.


Where do I park on campus and what is the cost?

If you’ll be commuting to campus, you must register your vehicle with the University before classes begin. We recommend the following options for parking:

  • Commuter parking passes are available for $100 for the school year. Commuter lots are located by the Rozsa Center or between campus and the Student Development Complex
  • General parking passes are available for $20 for the school year. General parking lots are located by the Student Development Complex. A free shuttle is available to take you to and from lower campus.

You may register your vehicle online or in person at the Transportation Services office, located in the Administration building.


My parent/guardian works at Michigan Tech. Do I qualify for TRIP benefits?

Yes. The Tuition Reduction Incentive Plan (TRIP) will pay no more than half of the tuition charges. This benefit does not cover books, supplies, or fees. Your parent/guardian will need to complete the TRIP benefit form and submit it to the Benefits Office. Financial Services and Operations will adjust your bill after the form is processed. TRIP forms must be submitted by the dates listed below.

Entry TermDeadline
Spring 2016 December 1, 2015
Fall 2016 July 1, 2016
Spring 2017 December 1, 2016


What if I decide to apply as a full-time student after high school graduation?

If you are considering enrolling at Michigan Tech as a full-time student after you graduate from high school, you’ll need to complete our free online application for admission as an undergraduate degree seeking student. You will need to have your high school submit an updated transcript showing your grades through your junior year as well as official ACT and/or SAT scores.